Engine Rebuilders In Colorado

twstdv6

I am in need of a rebuild, in Denver, Colorado. Anyone know of any shops or Person in this area knowledgable about our Buicks. Motor has a knock when pressing the gas. Any input would be appreciated.

Hey I live in Greeley Colorado pri about an hour from you. If you know where Loveland is you should go get a quote from a guy named Jeff at U.S. Automotive Machine. He has built a couple of our motors and is in the process of machining mine right now. I am going to shortblock my own stuff but he will shortblock or long block for you if you would like. He is pretty reasonable I think. He also seems to know our cars pretty well. His number is 970-669-3290 and I believe he is open till 5 M-F. Tell him Andrew Laughlin with the Buick V6 reffered you and that you have a similar project. Than tell him what you would like him to do. He will give free estimates if you bring your stuff to him, good guy. Lemme know what happens and if you need help lemme know I may be able to help you out. He is doing a rebore, complete vavle job, porting polishing exhaust, port matching intake and manifold, grinding crank, pressing pistons, resizing rods, balancing, soft plugs, cam bearings for about 900, I am getting a qoute to do a girdle on monday. I havent got my motor back yet so I will see just how good he is soon but I have heard ALL GREAT things about him and he has a high volume of customers so that means people are coming back (doing 9 motors right now). Call him and see what you think. HTH
-Andrew

No problem you can also call MACAutosports and they are in Denver. They do tuning and such but may be able to recomend someone closer to you if Loveland is too far. Their number is 1-303-841-1176 and like I said they have tuned our cars before and they may know a good builder. Try U.S. also tho get a couple quotes it may be worth the drive to you.
-Andrew

Andrew, Give me a call at 303-895-5675, or leave me a # and I will call you so you don't have to pay. Got some questions about Parts. I haven't had to have one rebuilt before. Thanks!

Here are what the clearnaces should be on your rods and mains too as posted by SouthernCal GN

Correct- .0018 on the mains and the rods. Machine shops are used to doing the machine work on SBCs, as there are a million of them out there. The SBC isn't as stressed as the 3.8, and can therefore live on much looser tolerances without any adverse effects.

From Jack Merkel: Merkel likes to see no more than 2 thousandths clearance (1.5 is preferred) in the main bearings due to the fact that there are no 3/4 groove main bearings available for Buick V6s. (We should note here that 3/4 groove bearings should be available from Federal Mogul by the time you read this.) Oiling for the rods is very important in a Buick because six rods are doing the work of eight. Merkel says, "These engines don't see a lot of rpm so the important thing is to keep the main clearance tight to ensure adequate oil volume to the rod bearings. Typically a small-block Chevy will run a higher rpm to produce the same horsepower on the motor, so they need more clearance."
GM Hi-tech Performance mag article

HTH

Oh yeah you can also search this site for parts you are looking for in the for sale or wanted section

You can also try Engines To Go in Denver. They have quite a bit of TR experience. They are working on my motor now.

Not to scare you but Engines-To-Go is the reason mine is the way it is now. Out of the car being rebuilt. Be careful is all I can say....
-Andrew

Be Carefull

I have bought few parts from Engines to go, but I wouldn't let them work on my car. I have heard nothing but horror stories about their work, and every time they go to the track, they blow their motor. That's why I am looking for other shops. Not bashing, just what I heard from friends & family!

engines to go :(

Sorry guys I really don't have anything good to say about Engines To Go. Two rebuilds fully installed by them and both failed with thrust bearings/mains wiped out within 500 easy miles. They didn't want to warranty it, well before we even got to argue about it the second rebuild failed and I told them to shove it. The intake they ported for me looked like a little kid went crazy with a die grinder. Their shop has an awful oder/stink that stayed with the car months after I got it back....had to shampoo seats and carpet and wipe the black film off everything to remove the stink. Gas tank leaked after a fuel pump install, twice.

My friend had his Typhoon towed to their shop. He goes down there unannounced later to check on it and surprise they have his truck taped and masked and are trying to paint his bumper where it got damaged during the tow......the damage was serious not just a scratch...........I could go on, but I will say this - all of this happened 2002 or so.....maybe they have gotten better / more honest since?

I had the third rebuild done by Kieth at D&R Head and Casting service in north Denver. He knows these engines and is fair. Good luck with everything.......

Sorry guys I really don't have anything good to say about Engines To Go. Two rebuilds fully installed by them and both failed with thrust bearings/mains wiped out within 500 easy miles. They didn't want to warranty it, well before we even got to argue about it the second rebuild failed and I told them to shove it. The intake they ported for me looked like a little kid went crazy with a die grinder. Their shop has an awful oder/stink that stayed with the car months after I got it back....had to shampoo seats and carpet and wipe the black film off everything to remove the stink. Gas tank leaked after a fuel pump install, twice.

My friend had his Typhoon towed to their shop. He goes down there unannounced later to check on it and surprise they have his truck taped and masked and are trying to paint his bumper where it got damaged during the tow......the damage was serious not just a scratch...........I could go on, but I will say this - all of this happened 2002 or so.....maybe they have gotten better / more honest since?

I had the third rebuild done by Kieth at D&R Head and Casting service in north Denver. He knows these engines and is fair. Good luck with everything.......

My intake also looked like a kid had a dremel tool and just went nuts. My motor was a disaster when I tore it down after Engines-To-Go got a hold of it before I owned the car. Missings gaskets, held together with silicone, mains and rods were WIPED OUT, pushrods were destroyed, and lots more. BE CAREFUL when dealing with these people!!!
-Andrew