engine rebuild

Tommyg

After changing my cam, the turbo went out--had that rebuilt--now a rod knock. Going to pull the motor and do a complete rebuild. What should I do to mahe sure all the metal is out of the engine? Should I somehow flush the oil cooler? Anything else?

The engine will get cleaned when they tank it. You can still run some brushes and solvent through it to make sure everything is out. I think the general consensus is to ditch the oil cooler if you've put some metal through it. It's cheap insurance to by an aftermarket cooler.

Pretty much any auto parts store, I'm sure some board vendors like cottons or full throttle sell them, or jegs and summit both sell them. You could even get one of the duel pass ones that do oil and tranny fluid. It's worth mentioning that you might be able to get away with just eliminating the oil cooler altogether. Some guys, including myself, have done this without problems. It kinda depends one your engine and your enviroment/driving technique. Just so my stance is clear I'm going to put an oil cooler back on my car. I just haven't done it yet because I've been busy and had some other variables going on with my intercooler situation and since I only drive it MAYBE 1000 miles a year it's not a pressing issue. I just don't want to be the do as I say not as I do guy.:biggrin: Good luck. james