Engine Rebuild

pmparents

I have an 87 Grand with about 84k. Stock block, TA49, 37lb injectors, turbotweak chip, 3" coldair intake w/k&n filter. I live in the Maryland/DC area and I've thinkn a lot about gettn the engine rebuilt. Including a new turbo/intercooler. I don't know of any builders in my area and have been leaning 2wards Jaspers custom rebuilds. I've read/heard about the good and bad about them and IMO believe that there builds depend on what type of build you get. I have $5,000 to spend give or take. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'm fairly new to the forum so please 4give my thread ediquette.

Why at 84k do you think you need a rebuild? I'm still new as well, but it seems their are alot of engines that are closing in on 150k without any issues.

IMO..I would stay away from jaspers. Buick engines, especially turbo and the BB's need a engine builder that know what they are doing. I'm sure others will chime in.

FYI..I have 110k on mine, and still looks good.

Steve

I have a Jaspers engine in my car. It's held strong for 14k so far. I bought it with the engine in the car though. The original owner blew the first one up when a line came disconnected and it overboosted... he had no boost gauge on the car, so he didnt know how high he took it or that anything was wrong until it popped...

So far my engine has done just fine, but I have no idea what "build" he had done... he was an well to do older-middle aged white dude so Im figuring he didn't skimp on anything, but it was rebuilt to stock specs... Im not going to lie I was not nice to this engine when I was learning and I know I had knock issues for a while before I got it all tamed.

Not trying to convince you to do anything, but Im just putting my story in the mix... If I were to have ANYTHING done I would either send it to Dan and DLS or have Mike at century auto send me somewhere in town he trusted... Im sure Houston has someone capable of building me a nice little engine. If you need to send it out, then send it Dan's way. I have YET to hear anything bad out of that stable...

Also... why do you think you need a rebuild, or do you just want to do a performance build?

reason 4 rebuild

well I bought the car last year in august, drove it 4 hours back from NY. haven't had any major problems other then volt light, cracked exhaust manifold, need a new IC, and my turbo is startn 2 leak oil. The car sat 4 awhile b4 I bought it, so I juz wanted a fresh start. The guy I got it from didn't have it 2 long himself and didn't have 2 much info on the car either and I haven't been able 2 find the original owner.

You're more than likely OK! Do a full spring cleaning (how article can be found here Turbo Regal Web Site ). I would replace/rebuild the turbo and do whatever needs to be done to the intercooler, and run it until she goes south on you!

Thanx, I appreciate the quick responses. On the Average, how many miles do guys get on these engines? I've seen guys with 150k!

Thanx, I appreciate the quick responses. On the Average, how many miles do guys get on these engines? I've seen guys with 150k!

If you don't do anything stupid 150k is possible. At around 95K I decided it was time to crank up the boost on my car. Because I was new to the hobby and had few supporting mods the high-boost fun lasted about 3 or 4 miles. I had the death knock and bearing screech in short order.

The replacement engine, which was substantially beefed up, died a couple of months ago amidst what I estimate to be 30 PSI, 93 octane fuel and over-revving due to a slipping transmission. The damage was extremely thorough leaving no moving part unaffected. It had about 12k miles on it.

I hope to have better luck with this third one I'm picking up this weekend.

Jim

Try here.....

Here this guy is a vendor as well as an engine builder. He is in MD, baltimore I think. I believe he does a lot of in house stuff.
www.anderson-performance.com If that doesnt work I believe his sn is Eightsecv6 or close to that. You can also find his link when u first log on to this site. I personally would just get the turbo ic fixed and do a timing chain. Jack Cotton www.cottonsperformance.com was having great deal on Turbonetics Ball Bearing Turbos. Many options but good luck. Try to save some of that $$$ so when something does happen you will be prepared. KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) works best... Dont forget the spring cleaning as stated above.

He's in the Maryland/DC area. (as per his post ;) )

If it was me and your engine has good oil pressure and good compression I'd just work on getting the tune right and drive it.

Yesterday 08:12 PM
pmparents I have an 87 Grand with about 84k. Stock block, TA49, 37lb injectors, turbotweak chip, 3" coldair intake w/k&n filter. I live in the Maryland/DC area

OOPS!!! I would follow the recomendations of the spring cleaning and then start talking to some of the supporting vendors. The biggest thing I would say is gat an honest goal figured out before you get WWWAAAAYYYY off the deep end!! It happens faster than you would believe.:biggrin: Jon Hanson

Before my uncle sold his we were at the track all the time with his, it was mostly all stock and had about 175k miles on it and turning anywhere from a 13.8 to a 14.20....LOL

My friend now owns that car and it has about 325k miles on it:eek: of course the car has had a few timing chains and a fuel pump but the engine has never been opend and the car runs pretty good. It could use some attention because it mostly sits and needs a few things.

That may be an extreme case....I dont know but it is pretty crazy:cool:

Ours just rolled over 200k.
Mostly stock, stock turbo (with only 150k miles) and I/C, 1 timing chain and a pair of valve cover gaskets, otherwise unopened. Of course I am about to dive into turbo replacement, but the motor itself is still strong. It'll turn over my 255's without a problem. I'm still sticking with the stock turbo because of it's age, but am considering alky. I have also spent a lot of time and $$ keeping it in shape. Complete suspension upgrade back around 140k that needs some aspects changed.

I really wonder how long this motor will hold up if well taken care of and not abused.

Much appreciation 4 the info. guys. I didn't know these engines were that strong! What can I do to maintain the engine better? Oil/Tranny cooler, hi performance electric waterpump, & better oil(I use Royal Purple good or bad)?