Engine rebuild questions

ladodgers8

Ok I bought an 86 GN a few months back and it needed a new transmission. Mission accomplished thanks to Dave Husek. I decided that since there was 150k on the engine, good time to rebuild. So the engine is currently at RPE and I have a few options and wanted to poll the membership to see what I should do. My goal is to have a really smokin daily driver. I won't be tracking this car at all. I'd like to get a list going of things that are necessary vs. things that would be nice vs. the "don't bother" list. I'd like to try to maximize what I can get out of it without going overboard on any one item. Like running aluminum champion heads with a stock turbo... I imagine that's in the "don't bother" category.

Stock crank, hopefully hone only. ARP head bolts. Fm turbo replacement pistons. Cylinder heads will be rebuilt... so really nothing extraordinary here. While I have it out, I have the option of:

Roller cam package, diamond pistons, and billet center main caps.

I'd like to run a ta-49 with stock IC.

Now where are my restrictions? DP? Throttle body? IC? Heads?
I'm leaning toward going with the roller cam and pistons seeing as how it's taken apart already. So please everyone weigh in and give your opinions... maybe offer an ordered list of things to do/buy. Thanks in advance for your always valuable advice!

I'd like to as fast as possible while staying under say 10k above the work that's already being done? Theoretically I could spend limitless money on it, so it's just a matter of how long it would take to get that kind of cash. The real limiting factor is like I said above that I want a reliable daily driver.

Bigger turbo. Bigger Intercooler. Alky. Little head work. That would wake the butt dyno up.:biggrin:

Ported iron heads. Stock pistons IF they are with-in spec. Stock rods AND rod bolts IF they are with-in spec. Roller cam PERIOD! (I HATE flat tappet cams these days) Bigger turbo than a lame TA-49, (call PTE) nice stock location intercooler and a alky system, new fuel pump, hot wired, 65lb. injectors and Eric Marshal chip, and translator(Gen1) and 3.5" MAF sensor.

I've seen lots of 150K engines that are very nice inside. If it is apart, the heads NEED porting. Roller cams are the norm now days. The TA-49 is like ordering a grilled cheese sandwich at a fancy resturant. (ya, it works, but hell, order a dang steak!:D) Add a 3" down pipe to the order, too.:)

Ported iron heads. Stock pistons IF they are with-in spec. Stock rods AND rod bolts IF they are with-in spec. Roller cam PERIOD! (I HATE flat tappet cams these days) Bigger turbo than a lame TA-49, (call PTE) nice stock location intercooler and a alky system, new fuel pump, hot wired, 65lb. injectors and Eric Marshal chip, and translator(Gen1) and 3.5" MAF sensor.

I've seen lots of 150K engines that are very nice inside. If it is apart, the heads NEED porting. Roller cams are the norm now days. The TA-49 is like ordering a grilled cheese sandwich at a fancy resturant. (ya, it works, but hell, order a dang steak!:D) Add a 3" down pipe to the order, too.:)

+1 Keep it simple :)

I'd stick with reusing the stock cam, run zddp in the oil and get the ported champion iron heads with springs to match. Stock crank and rods, but get forged pistons.

Thanks for the opinions gents. I appreciate the ideas. I think it's time to go see Mr. Cotton. His shop is like 20 minutes from my house... the guy seems to know what he's talking about.:biggrin:

Ive been doing what you want to do, and Im just about done.
I did:
Billet main caps
Diamond .020 pistons
Champion ported irons
Billet roller 212/218 cam
all else stock parts
6776 journal bearing turbo
ran a 7.03@102 in the 1/8 first pass w/ a 1.70 60ft.

I may go to the track 2-3 times all year, the rest is street driving.
Street cars would be better using iron heads over aluminum