Engine Rebuid

dcentg

Hey guys,
Can anybody help me with any suggestion on good machine shop who specializes rebuilding these turbo engine. I may need a rebuild becase of metal flakes on a recent oil change . Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Marc :

dcentg said:
Hey guys,
Can anybody help me with any suggestion on good machine shop who specializes rebuilding these turbo engine. I may need a rebuild becase of metal flakes on a recent oil change . Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Marc :

I took my motor to Snyder Machine Works. So far so good :) They don't "specialize" in the Turbo Buicks. But do good machine work. :) You just have to tell them "Exactly" what you want done. (What clearances you want and were)

Just woundering, what was your clearances used on the motor and average price for that rebuilt. :rolleyes:

Snyder's built mine spc case 3 blocks and made 1 good one cost about 2200 ensure you specify or they will just put in stock part, especially the hi vol oil pump and Head bolts and gaskets....

I've used Snyder's many times and NOT impressed. VERY slow. Actually unbelievably slow. They'll promise you 2 weeks, expect 3-4 months. This has happened the 3 times I had my GN block honed/line bored/cleaned up. And don't even get me going on my 427 C5R block for the Corvette. After 3.5 months they finally told be they weren't able to hone the cylinders because they didn't have the right equipment. Ended up sending it to a shop in CA that had the EXACT same honing machine and they had it back to me in 2 weeks. I've learned my lesson. There are NO good machine shops on this island (that I could find at least). Pay the shipping and send it to a reputable TR machine shop on the mainland. If you're just looking to get the block cleaned, then I think Snyder's can do it reliably, just not on time... Most of the guys on here remember my fiasco's with Snyder's though. Unfortunately, after trying to not use them again, I found that the other shops on the island are even worse....

Just my 1/2 cent.
Derrick

Thanks for ther input guys. I will start getting the motor out in a couple months and will let you who things are going.
Thanks again,
Marc :biggrin:

I heard that Ted's and Okuhara's are good shops but backlogged. I think Andy went to Okuhara's for his machine work.