Engine oil for older cars

Rottydogg84GN

This is the responce i received from Castrol about the depleating value of ZDDP in totadys oils and what they offer to use:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. Castrol is aware of articles in enthusiast magazines and web-sites, as well as after-market parts manufacturer discussions concerning GF-4 engine oils and cam-shaft durability issues in older performance vehicles. Some consumers suspect the lower level of ZDDP in GF-4 oils may be causing these failures. Castrol is currently investigating this issue.

For those consumers that wish not to use a GF-4 oil in these vehicles, Castrol does offer the following products that contain Zinc at a level that is typical of the Zinc level found in oils (API SG) marketed during the "muscle car" era of time:

The following Castrol products have Zinc levels that are typical of API SG oil:

1. Castrol Syntec 20W-50 (*NEWLY FORMULATED classic oil formula – see link to website below for information on our new 20W-50 product)

2. Castrol SYNTEC 5W-40

3. Castrol Grand Prix 4T 10W-40 (product has been replaced by Castrol Motorcycle 4T 10W-40)

4. Castrol Grand Prix 4T 20W-50 (product has been replaced by Castrol Motorcycle 4T 20W-50)

5. Castrol GO! ATV 10W-40

6. Castrol GO! ATV 20W-50

7. Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 (full synthetic, available @ BMW dealerships)

8. BMW Long Life 5W-30 (full synthetic, available @ BMW dealerships)

9. Castrol GO! 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil

10. Castrol GO! 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil

If installing a new performance cam in an older performance vehicle, it is important to:

* follow the installation recommendations provided by the cam manufacturer

* use the recommended cam break-in lube

* prime the engine oil circuits

* use the recommended engine oil

· confirm valvetrain geometries prior to starting the engine with the new cam

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, the technology leader!

Castrol Consumer Relations

i use gtx 10w-30 now and if i use the 20w-50 is that to thick my engine has only 15,000 on it and the oil press is 100 cold and 25 hot with the 10w-30.

Well you could drop down to 5W-40 castrol syntec of you want. These are only suggustions from castrol. in the 10w-30 are you useing an additive?

i havent since i owned the car 4 years i only herd of this problem this winter and i dont drive the car in the winter. i did find the accel oil in the kirbans newsletter at walmart so i bought 6 quarts and see how that works come spring.

here is the part in the newslette if anybody doesent get it.

"While I was at one of our local Walmarts, I saw an
oil marketed under the Accel label (not to be
confused with the ignition company). Not only did
they have oil specific or 1988 and older cars, but also
another category, “SA,” which was for 1930 and older
cars. The oil was around $1.45 a quart."

Castrol the answer to all our problems?

So this is the answer to all our flat tappet problems? I am faced with this now on my 84 T type and don't want to spend $850 on a cam. I see that many of the new crate engines from GM and others do not have roller cams. Does that mean GM, Chrysler, and Ford have no zinc concerns for their high perfromance crate engines? I have no problems running Castrol if I can get out of buy a roller cam. Lets hear from the rest of you guys.. THANKS mike

There were a lot of cam/lifter problems with cars in the 80's. I opened up a lot of 70's and 80's Buicks with wiped cam lobes. Usually from people not changing the oil enough. GM would usually warranty them at the time; but probably not any more. One of the full synthetics would be cheap insurance against this.

Soft Cams

I was told by Gary Oswald of Street Perf. that GM had soft cams in our cars. That is the only part (cam) that's left of my 24000 motor.I kept it in case there was a class action suit,I want them to replace my long block.Anyway the aftermarket cams are OK says Gary. Oh buy the way there is a whole list of things I want that I"ll never get. Thanks Forrest