Engine Hoist Boom Lenght

MikeL.

Stay boosted my friends
motor is ready to drop in but I need to buy a hoist, or if there is a fellow buick brother in the C-bus or surrounding area with a loneable hoist ;) that would work also.

question is Harbor Frieght and others have a 1-ton hoist with a max boom length of 50.25". Is this enough 'reach' or do I need to step up to the overkill 2 -ton unit for the added reach of 63.5"?

what's everyone using?

I have the 2 ton with foldable legs. If you loan it out enough, you never have to store it. My brother has mine now. It came from harbor freight.

measure from the back spark plug to the front of the front bumper and then add a few inches- that's about how long the boom needs to be.
well, that's now long the boom should be- i've done a few engine swaps with a boom that was too short where i had to swing the engine into place..

I used the 1 ton and it was way too short. I made mine work by drilling a hole in the end of the boom and bolting on a extension piece of boxed steel...worked by not the safest way to do it. Save yourself the headache and get the longest boom you can.

what about putting the hoist sideways to the engine bay? (hood needs off clearly)
if you are doing just the engine, then that way should work ok.. but it's better to take it out from the front for a lot of reasons that become evident as you are doing the actual work. .
if the trans is bolted to the engine, then i wouldn't even attempt it that way..

Just dropping the motor only. I've had some great suggestions and it looks like I have a local solution. I appreciate the help guys.

Use care..

when choosing a hoist.. Find out at what extension the unit is rated...
The capacity goes away FAST, as you extend the boom...
A "niceity" is a jack that has the pump designed to work in both directions of lever travel..Makes it faster to work.

You can add a "fudge factor" by having your 300# mother-in -law stand on the rear end of the unit!:eek::D:D

I should've done more research before I bought my cheap hoist... The only way I could get it to work was to extend the boom to the max, stick the chain straight out the nose instead of the slot :)eek:), then remove a wheel and come in from the side. A pain but it worked, with all accessories on the engine except for the IC.