Engine Help for Rookie Hybrid Builder

samjudi

T-6 EL CAMINO
Hi Gang,
I am building an '84 El Camino powered by an '87 T-6. No badges except a small "Turbocharged" tag on rear tailgate (so they know they ' been had').

Motor was supposed to be supplied as a turn-key, but was far from it. Will not give names at this time. As I assemble the rest of the parts, I am getting one supplier who says a single elect. fan was all that was needed. Harness has connection for 2 fans. He sent one big one.

Also, will Powder Coating last on the Turbo cover? Trying to do something a little different from the usual chrome.

Learning a lot about this crazy thing called a T-6. A lot different from the usual SB 350!!

All help appreciated.

Sam

Welcome to TB.com Sam. Good luck with your project.

I would do a jet hot coating on the sheild. That would last better IMO.

Engine Help

TurbuRick,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on the fans? One or two. All I have seen have two, but one supplier says one big is all that is needed.

Sam

You could get away with a single fan. Thats how they are stock but the duals pull more air across a bigger area of the radiator resulting in more efficient cooling. ;)

... Also, will Powder Coating last on the Turbo cover? Trying to do something a little different from the usual chrome...

I'm sure you'll be OK. I have mine Jet-hotted, but I've also had a vinyl sticker on it for years and it's still looking fresh.

Engine Rebuild

A Vinyl sticker survived on the Turbo Shield?? I thought that thing got to be 1200 degrees or so. Just left mine to be Jet powder coated. Wanted to do a little color, but Black was all that was available in High heat.

The wiring harness has a connector for 2 fans, but only one was supplied by the engine builder. We're just making sure that one big one will do the job. Will be using it just as a street hauler, boosted to 7-9 psi. or at least that is the plan just now.

Thanks for the help. I did not know about the Turbo interest until I started researching this car. A lot of good info/guys and gals having fun with these thing. Looking forward to joining the fray......

Sam