Engine going back in... need info.

D

dave84gn

Hey guys. Well some of you may remember my threads from about three weeks ago talking about pulling my engine. Well now it's time to put it back in (well actually I got a low-mileage well-modified engine from a local club member).

So I've been fighting with lining up the motor with the mounts, and the tranny, etc. Today I finally got it all lined up, and got the motor mount bolts in! About ready to put in the 6 bellhousing bolts (*cringe*), and I remember there were some wires (grounds) around at least one of the bolts.

So my question for now is: how many wires were around the bellhousing bolts, and which bolts were they around?

I'm pretty sure they were mostly on the passenger side.

Thx!

Dave

Mine doesn't have any grounds on the bellhousing but that doesn't mean much since it didn't have the original motor when I bought it. I know the 86/87s have a single ground there. Maybe it's supposed to have one from the firewall to the bellhousing.

I think mine had 1. I know the 86 has 3 on the passenger side head going to the firewall.

Ground wire

Assuming this is an 84-85
My car, from the factory, had no grounds on the bellhousing bolts.
There are 2 grounds on the driver side.
1 comes off the firewall(a braided wire)
The other one comes out of the wiring harness in the same area the knock sensor wire comes out.
Both wires bolt to the back of the drivers side head.
Btw that is a metric thread
4-5 ground wires on the front pass. side.
All grounds must be GOOD

Yea it's an 84/85.

Thanks guys. Yea I vaguely remember one. But when I look under there I see a wire but I think it's for the starter motor.

Thx Lee for the desc. of all the grounds to the engine. I know I have the braided one and I do remember the big pack of grounds on the front passenger side... i think at the bottom of the A/C compressor bracket.

Will keep you guys up to date, as well as keeping the questions coming! :)

Dave

I took my engine (85) out and put her back in. Cant get it to run yet - but thats another topic. I put my 2 grounds in a different spot by the sounds of it. I have my braided line running from the firewall to a bellhousing bolt then the other wire the comes outta the harness runs to the firewall also.

Not sure if changing these from their original position would make any difference...anyone ?

Maybe that might fix my no start ! Ha...wouldn't that be easy.

i have both the ground off the firewall and the one from the harness going to the top drivers side bellhousing bolt..

it wont hurt to put them both there just make sure the bolt is pretty tight..

and the ones on the front to bottom of a/c bracket..