Engine dies. Help

edfiero1

On my 84 Hot air car, it will start right up, but dies within 1 or 2 seconds.
I found out if I unplug the MAF, then try to start it, it starts up and runs.

How do I determine if the MAF is bad, or if there is some other problem? I get 13.8 g/s from the MAF with the key on. When I try to start and it runs for that second or two, the MAF goes to 18 or 20 g/s. But it dies so quickly its hard to say what the reading would be once it idled.

There was no other code other than the one I got from starting the car up with the MAF unplugged.

Also, if this is a MAF problem, what MAF do I buy as a replacement. The car is a stock 84 hot air car, with the exception that the prior owner converted it over to an 86/87 ECM. Does that mean I'd need an 86 MAF, or stick with the 84 MAF.

Thanks

All my MAF's have a part number on the underside.

If yours doesn't I would post up some pics. from all angles.

Does sound like an MAF problem, verifying power and ground on the connector is always a good idea, having a 1984 service manual would help with that, I only have a 1987 version.

According to info. in the Hot Air Section of the site, if it is converted to a 86/87 ECM you would use that years MAF sensor.

Or convert it to an LS1 type with translator a better choice.

You might start searching that section since it does apply more to your car.

Thanks - if I can confirm this MAF is bad I'll go with the Translator and LT1 MAF, but still not sure how to troubleshoot this.