Engine cuts out and ses light flashes??

turbonut85

Rarely used member
So....as I'm driving (normal cruising) the engine cuts out like its losing all spark or something. SES light flashes as the engine cuts...but no codes are stored. Feels like an ignition issue. I've wiggled the wiring at idle and cannot reproduce it. Haven't had the powerlogger on it when it happens so no help there...it's very intermittent. Seems to happen after the car is warm. Ign module maybe?? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Take the ecm out and let the car idle, then take some and tap on the ecm. If it has a bad soldier run or something else the ses light will flash. I had the same problem. Hope this helps.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Flashing ses light usually means a problem with the chip. I would remove the chip and retention the leads in the socket.

You are correct Rick. In my case we did the tap test with 3 ecms and my original one had some problem. We tried putting the chip in and out and physically moving it gently with car running and nothing. We than gently taped all the ecms running and I guess something is wrong with the original one.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Another area to check is the crank sensor being hit by the reluctor ring. Balancer bolt loose or balancer cracked.

Bryan.

I have checked the positive cable and wiggled the ccci wiring and both seem fine. I had that exact crank sensor thing happen on my hot air car....haven't had time to mess with it much....so I will check that. I'll try the ECM too....hope it's not that since this one is a modded ECM... :nailbiting:

I have checked the positive cable and wiggled the ccci wiring and both seem fine. I had that exact crank sensor thing happen on my hot air car....haven't had time to mess with it much....so I will check that. I'll try the ECM too....hope it's not that since this one is a modded ECM... :nailbiting:
I had wire loom on my CCCI wires going to the plug...It wasn't till I took off the loom I could see where the wire was compromised...