Engine cut off and won't start?

Jimbuick

Drive the Buick (87 GN) to work approximately 2.5 months ago. 35 miles each way, no problem.

Pulled the dash and sent it to be repaired and reinstalled it yesterday.

Decided to drive her to work today (nice weather, no traffic) and got about 25 miles before the gas pedal went unresponsive and pulled to the shoulder. Engine cut off right when I got onto the shoulder, was still going ~20mph at the time.

Car would not start after. Starts to turn over like it wants to, but no.

Had it towed home, and was able to get her to fire up for ~3-5 seconds before cutting off again.

Sounds like fuel is spraying when I put the gas down with the key turned, disconnected MAF and car still will not fire up.

Any obvious culprits? Pretty new to these vehicles (and am no expert by any means), owned her for a year now and have driven her only a few times but never had any issues before.

Only thing I can think of is Fuel/Fire. Any weird sensors that would be able to do this that can be checked easily?

Thanks,
Jim

Do you have fuel pressure at the Schrader valve?
Do you hear fuel pump prime when you turn key forward?

Do you have fuel pressure at the Schrader valve?
Do you hear fuel pump prime when you turn key forward?

I don't believe I have the tools to check the valve....

For whatever reason, I didn't check. I was sitting in it on the side of the road for a while so when I got home I didn't want to go back out and deal with it lol.

I'll try to check tomorrow before work (or Tuesday). It sure would be nice if it's just the pump.

Check your cam sensor. Reset it to its proper setting. I had a worn cam gear cause the same issue. As it would cause the sensor to move while running .

Check your cam sensor. Reset it to its proper setting. I had a worn cam gear cause the same issue. As it would cause the sensor to move while running .
Good point Chris. I didn't think the cam sensor would cause the motor to cut off while driving? I thought it was only necessary to start the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm dumb.

Very, very dumb.

Guessing the gauge went out at some point and said I had 10gal of gas but was 100% bone dry.

Checked the pump last night and it worked so I just out a few gallons in just in case it was out, and she fired right up. Paid close to $200 for a tow just to fill the damn tank up.

Dumb.

I'm dumb.

Very, very dumb.

Guessing the gauge went out at some point and said I had 10gal of gas but was 100% bone dry.

Checked the pump last night and it worked so I just out a few gallons in just in case it was out, and she fired right up. Paid close to $200 for a tow just to fill the damn tank up.

Dumb.

Not Dumb, not at all.

It's a "life lesson" and that Turbo Buick will probably give you a few more of those lessons before you're done. :D

U got spark?! Check your crank sensor. Experienced something similar years ago.

If you have a known good coil and module swap it as well

Well, could've been worse. Thank God it was just gas [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're not dumb for that. Those gas gauges were never very accurate. Ive seen some gm cars run out when still showing 1/8 of a tank. :eek: