Engine coming out of storage

quazzy81

I have a relatively stock block that has been sitting on an engine stand for the past 5 years. I kept oil in the motor and all that. I am going to do minor work to it like a cam and replace the valve springs, injectors, headers, turbo and all the sensors, wiring and high output distributor. Do I have to worry about the rings on the pistons or anything in the block since the motor sat so long. I am also going to replace the rear main seal and check the lower block while the pan is off. Any help will do and thanks in advance!

Why replacing the headers and other stuff?

Would not worry about the rings if you kept it oiled and well stored. Did you turn it over avery once in a while?

I was trying to avoid taking the heads off and opening up the block. Im just debating on just sending it out since winter is coming up. I was trying to just stick to bolt ons but I think I am going to send it out afterall since it is out of the car. I dont want something to blow up after I put it back in and have to take it out again. Thanks for the info!

If you're going to turn the motor upside down to pull the pan you can spray some oil on the bottom of the cylinder walls. Pull the plugs put some oil on the top of the cylinders, turning it over by hand to make sure nothing binds. Use a priming tool to prime the motor up to the rockers, and your done.

K.

biggest mistake I made was messing with my engine - as in rebuild

BOLT-ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and rock until it blows - then call FTS for a stroker kit and your bolt ons are still ready to go - probably.