Engine cleaning

QWICK6-MA

I am sure this question has come up before, but I cannot find a post.
What is the recommended way of cleaning the engine and compartment? Any advice would be helpful. Would like to clean it up before I take it to any shows. Thanks in advance.

Any engine cleaner (like GUNK) will work fine. Just cover or stay away from sensors and vital electronics under the hood. I usually shy away from getting the engine compartment wet per se ... I use Purple Power spray and shop rags and just go at it. Spray it down and let it soak in for at least 15 min. Get some small brushes to get in the nooks and crannies. A water based protectant (like 303 Protectant at Advance Auto) works well on radiator hoses. The last thing I do is shine up the chrome accents (turbo shield, up pipe, etc) with Invisible Glass. :)

Everyone has their own way of doing it.

wd40 tooth brush and old socks on each arm. Spray the engine bay with your choice of vinyl and rubber treatment. Let it soak for 2 hours and then wipe it all down.

I use Simple green and/or all purpose cleaner. I stay away from the electronics and just wipe with a rag. I usually pick a section and concentrate on that.

I sprayed mine down with degreaser,presure wash,dried with leaf blower,and sprayed with Armoral tire foam. Let the tire foam set up and blow dry puddles. Looks like it came out of the showroom.
I also do this to my 66 Big block corvette and my 2001 Silverado.

as far as the electronics go, they have weather tight sealed connectors and the water (pressure washer) wont hurt a thing just stay away from the air filters

no easy way here. the more time you take, the better the results. I like simple green and Wd-40 also, just want to bring up something i like to use not mentioned yet, fine steel-wool. Works great on most of the metal finishes and gets the dark buildup like new. (Example... around your AC fittings). i usually spray the cleaners on the rag, then clean, that way it doesnt go where it dont belong.

I sprayed mine down with degreaser,presure wash,dried with leaf blower,and sprayed with Armoral tire foam. Let the tire foam set up and blow dry puddles. Looks like it came out of the showroom.
I also do this to my 66 Big block corvette and my 2001 Silverado.

pics?

I like to use Spay and wash laundry degreaser. Just spray it on, scrub really dirty areas with toothbrush, and gently rinse. Once it's clean and dry, use some Aerospace 303 or even WD-40. (wd-40 will smell for a while though)

Simple green works well also for the degreasing but I find that the spray and wash works better in my experience.

I just took some pictures of the engine compartment today but I don't know how to post them.
I took they pictures today but I did the cleaning last July. The tire foam makes the plastic parts look like you clear coated them.

Steve

Engine picture

See if this picture comes through.

Attachments

• IMG_2716a.JPG
    IMG_2716a.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 265
Tire foam or spray looks good at first, but sucks up dirt like a magnet. I wouldnt recommend spraying anything that greasey in an engine compartment.

Thanks everyone!!!
I will experiment with everyone's input. Thanks for all the ideas, it is much appreciated.:cool:

stay away from the ignition module/coil pack. You'll end up with the error code 42 plague.

ok

I use wd40 and simple green.

I warm the engine up a tad bit. I then spray wd40 all over the engine and allow it to soak for about 10mins then spray everything down with the simple green and let dry engine compart always looks great.

Also the other trick i like to use is silicone tire spray it dries to a shiney finish and it's waterproof for a bit.

Use your favorite degreaser then follow up with CD2 engine detailer, you will say wow if you haven't heard of this product before. Do a search. Avail at Autozone. I use it but sorry I have no pics to share.

Meguiars Safe De-Greaser folowed by Hyperdressing.

Both products are part of their Detailer line and available by the gallon. They get diluted with water. Use a foaming sprayer on the Degreaser. The advantage of the hyperdressing is you can diulte it to adjust the shine