Engine Build

CL87

I just traded a street GN for a GN that was setup to Drag race. The car ran good but I found that it had a blown head gasket. The oil had the classic chocolate milk look so I was sure about the blown head gasket. I decided not just to change the head gaskets but take it out and apart. I was not sure what parts it had in it anyway.

The engine has some good performance parts.
Champion GN1 heads
Comp Cams Roller cam 269HR12
Scorpion 1.65 rockers
After market steel main caps
Double roller chain
L2481F-030 Pistons
Not sure about the Crank & Rods

I am new to the buick engine building and I am looking for some advice or possible help if local to the Lakeland FL area. This is my hobby so I don't want to just pay a professional to put it together. I would like to learn from this because I plan on running the car at the track as much as possible and I may have to tear it down again. I would like to put this together right and learn from it. I am not new to engine building, but I have never built a performance buick 3.8.

So I am looking for some advice, tips or would appreciate help if local near the Lakeland, FL area. I would love to make some new GN racing friends.

Thanks

Here's what I would do if it were me.....

I'd replace the head gasket that's bad (you can look at the bearings also) without removing the engine. Then I'd have some fun racing it.

While you're having fun you can collect the short block parts necessary to built another at your leisure. Full machining and assembly done, you can remove the old engine, switch top end parts and put the new one in and have more fun. Then start over on the one you just removed.

I don't know where Lakeland, FL is, but there are some very fast Buick guys live in FL who could help you.