Engine build Please help ..

kwik87

Hello all I'm looking for a good combination For reliable HP for my 87 GN any words of advice would be greatly appreciated .. I understand what it takes time finances extra .. On building the right vehicle
My car is a stock 87 GN motor is knocking .. Bought it that way ... It's not in horrible shape but not great either ... I am wanting to do a frame off resto/mod

Are you wanting to build a stroker or maintain the factory 3.400 stroke? There's a number of directions you can go for either build. Some rods like Scat and Eagle will require machine work for a stroker application, where as others like Molnar will not. If you aren't building a stroker, are you building a high horsepower motor? In that case The Eagle rods are equipped with 3/8" hardware, where as the Scat rods are equipped with 7/16", but will require about .001-.002 of honing on the rod bushing for the piston pin..and then you have to consider the cap screws! You can go with 8740, or 2000, or go crazy with L19, but watch out for exposure to hydrogen with those.

and that's just a few details on connecting rods! There's still the crank, pistons, bearings, seals, and much more.

To get things started, can you state your intentions and your interpretation of "reliable HP" 400 reliable horsepower will cost you a bit less than 900 reliable horsepower.

I want to maintain factory stroke I'm wanting at least 500 at the wheel ..thank you

Suggest you find out what's wrong w/ the engine as it is now.
Bad crank could be reason to use a stroker forged, etc, etc....

I want to maintain factory stroke I'm wanting at least 500 at the wheel ..thank you

500whp doesn't sound unreasonable, and Chuck makes a decent point in advising you to identify your current issue, but let's assume you find the issue on tear down.

I wouldn't recommend a stroker for a 500whp build for a couple reasons. The first would be cost of components alone. Once you start pricing out parts, you'll find the rotating assembly alone is between $250-$500 alone. Next is the machining. Any build is going to at least require a once over from a machinist, but the stroker will require, crank bearings to be chamfered and the block to be clearances at the least. The cost adds up quickly, although a stroker will make more power with less boost than a comparable factory stroke counterpart. Driveability is nice as well I have read.

A factory stroke motor will also most likely require machine work too as I mentioned earlier. Crankshafts are rarely good to go straight out of the box, but as long as everything is good to go on tear down its a much easier route.

For 500whp, I would recommend coated bearings too. Calico makes a nice set. They are a little pricey, but they live long compared to cheaper uncoated ones like Clevite. I'm not sure if King makes bearings for these cars, but I've had good experiences with those as well on other engines.

There's quite a bit that goes into a build. The most important thing I can stress is that an engine isn't just the sum of it's parts. Check and double check all clearances even if a professional sets it up for you. If you do any boring or honing, pay attention to cylinder wall material as well. It's easy to do damage and not know it until start up.

There's a bit more to it, and I'm learning these motors as well at the moment, but this is a fun process. I'm going to continue reading every bit of info I can on building these, and if I come across any useful info, I'll pass it along.

PS. I would consider caps or a girdle with power like that.

You're also going to have to backtrack to find why the motor got that knock. It could have run lean b/c of a bad fuel pump or injector, etc. It's not so easy to undo other peoples crap, especially if you don't have a good understanding how everything works together. I would seek the help of someone on the board that is an experienced engine builder and guide you though the install and eventual tuning.

Thank you for the wise words .. The engine was knocking due to lack of oil car is 100% stock ..
I've been doing some reading and research on building engine ..

Definitely going with main caps .. Can I do caps and a girdle ?
Really want to maintain the stock stroke and bore just wanting to make it stronger

I've read a lot of good things about the fast xfi definitely getting that !!

Thank you for the wise words .. The engine was knocking due to lack of oil car is 100% stock ..
I've been doing some reading and research on building engine ..

Definitely going with main caps .. Can I do caps and a girdle ?
Really want to maintain the stock stroke and bore just wanting to make it stronger

I've read a lot of good things about the fast xfi definitely getting that !!

I think due to the difference in thickness in the main caps, it's either that or the girdle. I'm honestly not 100%, but that's what i would imagine. Maybe someone could chime in?

Billet caps need to align honed. A girdle needs the caps to be milled. It's popular to do a forged crank and billet caps on a ten second builds, adding the girdle for faster builds. Check out the signitures of about 25 cars that are as fast as your goal. You will notice trends for engine combos, turbos, tires, fueling, etc. The ones that have been at it a long time have figured things out. Once you have a general plan, chose a known tb engine builder that can refine your combo. There's not just one combo that is perfect either, some do more with less, others not. The last piece is always the tune.

Tear the motor apart first and find out what is wrong. That will help you determine what parts you will need.

If you have to replace the crank you might as well go to a stroker set up because there really is no difference in price between a forged stock stroke and a stroker. You can get away with a stock crank, stock rods and forged pistons to make 500 hp. If you are going to push it past that, which you will, get a forged rotating assembly with steel mains and be done with it.

No matter which way you go with the bottom end, port the heads and the intake that will help you a lot. I would go with a 212/212 cam for sure. The 206 will leave some rpm and power on the table. The turbo as always is the power adder so that has to be taken into consideration.

And after you make this power, be prepared to rebuild the trans because your newfound power will fry that requiring hard parts and a converter as well. Welcome to horsepower.

Stock caps (align honed) and a girdle on mine, 3.625 stroker .020 over, no coated bearings . About 10.0:1 compression ...

Bryan

Where are you located and is E85 available in your area ? That will determine if you need alky injection or not .