Opinions on Engine Build

For engine build only.

The stock components will be more than capable of making the power you are looking for.

The block, crank 2 dot rods and stock pistons or a good forged replacement will all be more than happy at that power level. For my customers I always do the 1,2,3 billet mains, align hone for the stock crank. Use ARP studs for the mains. A 10/10 crank or even 20/20 will work fine. Top end your stock heads will work but for the money I would go with some addons.

Addons :
a set of ported irons, a ported intake. for the cam the stock is fine but I prefer to do the 206/206. Now if you want to go roller which I recommend you will have to do the cam kit, spring upgrades and I recommend a roller rocker setup for the adjustability. Again this is all add on not really needed.

Use a blue printed stock front cover and biggie oil filter kit. I do not recommend a High Volume oil pump.

Stock everything else should suffice

I agree machine gun , with a 340 pump , 60 lb inj adj FPR , with that build and I go with a ta49 or biggest I'd go would be the 6262 presicion turbo . Would fly . :) with a nice 3"terry Houston dp and hd actuator n Rjc boost controller . Hold on !

I get what you're saying, but the build is the fun for me. I enjoy fixing up cars and making them mine. I found this one a couple year back in Ohio. Guy hit a deer and was just going to have it totaled. Deer never got into the frame or rad or anything. Just needed a front clip. So I bought it dirt cheap and fixed it up. Took it to a few local shows and brought home some trophies. It's the build I enjoy. Don't get me wrong I love driving them to!
Im not trying to discourage you but, do yourself a HUGE favor and seek out an engine builder on this forum only, don't go to any machine shop, its not like building a SBC, completely different animals, i've seen the Big Black V6 beast knock the best Chevy guys down to size!

If the people at the shop are too damn ignorant to look up specs for a buick v6 they shouldn't be touching any other motor either. Doesn't matter what shop it goes to, just matters if you have a competent machinist and the work is checked properly.

Im not trying to discourage you but, do yourself a HUGE favor and seek out an engine builder on this forum only, don't go to any machine shop, its not like building a SBC, completely different animals, i've seen the Big Black V6 beast knock the best Chevy guys down to size!
Agree. I know my limits and building an engine is not one i can take on. I can take it out and put it in no problem. My thing is body work and putting the car back together. No doubt an engine builder will be used.

For engine build only.

The stock components will be more than capable of making the power you are looking for.

The block, crank 2 dot rods and stock pistons or a good forged replacement will all be more than happy at that power level. For my customers I always do the 1,2,3 billet mains, align hone for the stock crank. Use ARP studs for the mains. A 10/10 crank or even 20/20 will work fine. Top end your stock heads will work but for the money I would go with some addons.

Addons :
a set of ported irons, a ported intake. for the cam the stock is fine but I prefer to do the 206/206. Now if you want to go roller which I recommend you will have to do the cam kit, spring upgrades and I recommend a roller rocker setup for the adjustability. Again this is all add on not really needed.

Use a blue printed stock front cover and biggie oil filter kit. I do not recommend a High Volume oil pump.

Interesting...no upgrade to the intercooler?

For engine build only.

Addons :

Ballpark...cost on ported heads, ported intake, and cost on the full rocker set up?

So I've been asking everyone what I should put together in the way of parts and had some great ideas. Here is what I am thinking so far. Need some more info on porting the heads (cost), injectors, cam, etc. Any help on the missing items is appreciated.

Part Model/SKU Supplier Cost Comments
Block Stock Stock
Crank/End Caps ENG116, ENG117 Cottons $300.00 Stock Crank. Billet End Caps
Rods
Pistons TBD JE Pistons $1,000.00
Intake
Heads
Cam
Turbo PTB300-6262 Cottons $1,700.00 Precision Turbo 6262 Ball Bearing
Intercooler PIN053-2005 Cottons $1,000.00 Stock Location
Injectors
Plenum Plenum, Plate, and 70 MM TB RJC $530.00
Misc/ARP Bolts TBD $300.00
Pulley Kit Executive Kit RJC $450.00

So I've been asking everyone what I should put together in the way of parts and had some great ideas. Here is what I am thinking so far. Need some more info on porting the heads (cost), injectors, cam, etc. Any help on the missing items is appreciated.

Part Model/SKU Supplier Cost Comments
Block Stock Stock
Crank/End Caps ENG116, ENG117 Cottons $300.00 Stock Crank. Billet End Caps
Rods
Pistons TBD JE Pistons $1,000.00
Intake
Heads
Cam
Turbo PTB300-6262 Cottons $1,700.00 Precision Turbo 6262 Ball Bearing
Intercooler PIN053-2005 Cottons $1,000.00 Stock Location
Injectors
Plenum Plenum, Plate, and 70 MM TB RJC $530.00
Misc/ARP Bolts TBD $300.00
Pulley Kit Executive Kit RJC $450.00

Right now I'm at about 5500.00.

New GM (highway stars) or TA front cover and blueprinted oil pump.
TA heavy duty rocker shafts
If you go with a roller cam you have to cut the guides and get new exhaust valve and seals.
Timing chain
All gaskets
Oil pick up tube
Oil drain line
Maybe a new flywheel while you're at it
New motor mounts
Fuel pump and Hotwire kit
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
New pcv valve
Send the cam sensor to gns to get rebuilt
New crank sensor
New water pump
Down pipe
And the list goes on and on but those are the essentials I can think of if doing a basic rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said keep it stock or close to stock.. Its a money pit!!! But good luck hope you achieve your goals for the car.

For 400 hp level it'll do that with stock unopened block with a TA 49 better fuel pump better inj n TT race chip n turn up the boost . You don't need a 70 mm dog house n tb , I still run factory stamped steel rockers with Rjc hd shafts past 10.50's , porting intake n heads now your looking over 500 hp . 6262 juornal bearing is all you need , don't need bb to save money there .