Engine Bolt-on Options

Boost Bomber

Hey Everyone!

New fella here with a 86 GN. I have been doing some reading and research on these engines and I would like to do some performance upgrades on my car this winter, particularly the engine and driveline.

With all the different vendors, and different options available I have found it almost overwhelming trying to figure out good first steps and things that I should do. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some ideas and some turbo / head/ header combos that you have found work well with each other or for you.

Basically my goal is to have a nice street machine that is reliable. I am hoping to take the car to shows and the track once in a while (nothing serious, just to see what she will do) as well as the Hotrod Power Tour (U.S. / Canadian).

What got me, is that in my research I was reading if you get certain heads, you have to run different valve covers and if you do heads you should get roller rockers etc etc etc.... I do buildups of turbine aircraft engines as well as maintain them, so I am not used to getting into custom performance parts. This is all a new experience for me.

What has been done to the car by the previous owner:

Fuel Press Regulator EDIT: 60# Injectors.
RJC Power Plate
High Flow Fuel Pump
Hotwire Kit
Boost Controller
Turbo Tweak Chip (unsure of tune)
Scanmaster
Exhaust (receipt missing, unsure of type)

The car was an estate sale, as the previous owner passed away. The wife was the one who gave me the info on the mods (Receipts).

Also, the car starts and idles lumpy. I was wondering if it was bad fuel, but after a few runs, 300 Mi or so, and some quality gas and injector cleaner run through its still lumpy. All info on Scanmaster is showing within limits. I was wondering if it had a cam, but from my reading I am now thinking the valve springs are probably due for a change due to low spring pressure. Should I pull the heads, do a port and polish and refresh or just go for the gold and get some Champion Irons?

I understand that this is kind of an open ended topic and everyone has their own opinions, so I really appreciate everyone who is taking the time to read and respond.

Thanks!

EDIT: 60# Injectors. I don't know why I had 120 in my brain.

Last edited:
My brother works for Solar Turbine. I imagine you and him are in the same line of work.

That said is that car running e85?
Those are very large injectors.
If you want reliable keep it as stock as possible. Fuel pump upgrade, hot wire to the pump. Do some tuning and see where you are.

Sounds like it's already where it needs to be except 120# injectors. Maybe he was running E85?? Those are big injectors for a stock engine. Do us a favor and post pics of everything top, bottom and inside out. Most the guys on here can easily point out upgrades, and look for the part number on the injectors.

Get the number off of the chip , Eric can tell you a lot about the build from the chip order form .

My brother works for Solar Turbine. I imagine you and him are in the same line of work.

I looked up Solar Turbine, and we are in a very similar line of work. It seems he works on turbines for industrial applications which is pretty cool, I bet he gets to travel to some awesome places.

M2732AF6 is the eprom type. you need to get the chip builders info off the chip. take a picture of the eprom and post it here, try the side opposite the duel inline pins. i would think matching the fuel to what the tune is will be your first step. use 93 octane at the least for now.

M2732AF6 is the eprom type. you need to get the chip builders info off the chip. take a picture of the eprom and post it here, try the side opposite the duel inline pins. i would think matching the fuel to what the tune is will be your first step. use 93 octane at the least for now.

Crap. Ill have to get some pictures up when I return from travelling for work.

The chip itself was surrounded by a plastic housing, and that was pretty much the only number I could read. I didn't want to pull the chip without being properly grounded. I can do the job without risking the chip when I return to the hangar on my days off.

As for the fuel issue, I was running Shell 91 which is the highest Octane rating I could get here in my location in Canada, ( short of 100LL Aviation fuel ). I have changed the oil, plugs and coolant, and I was not reporting any knock from the Scanmaster when I went WOT.

once set properly, fuel pressure and fuel octane type, Erics chips are usually really nice and smooth at idle. My 93 octane @42# injectors withthe ttchip runs nice right around 44psi (vacuum off). every car will be different, but 43 will be a good starting point.

PM me for my number. I use to build engines for new Canada Air water bombers. Back then, they were Pratt R-2800's. I will be more than happy to help you with your combo. I just got my canadian friend into the 10's. We've been best friends for 28+ years. Finally talked him into ported heads, roller cam, stroker crank, forged rods, pistons, and on and on. He is having a blast!
I've been in aviation for 35+ years. (A&P)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215

In love with the sound of a big radial !! Yesterday a B25 flew over my house. What a treat for the ears!!

I get to hear V-12's and radials very often. Makes me stop in my tracks and look up. A Rolls Merlin at full song flying 200 yrds away is pure music to me.