emissions monkeys

And I love the 18 inch needle nose hose crimps to test the evap system. Per the CARB "This test does minimal damage to the vehicles emissions components, compliance far outweighs any damage and repairs costs incurred buy the vehicle owner". Tell you what CARB, clamp that thing on your penis and lets talk minimal damage.

Please some Buick owners will try anything suggested here.I don't think you would want to be responsible for anyone's self castration due to your post. I think Gary should immediately lock this thread.

Ouch!

Oooooooch!!!
oooooouuuuuuuch!!!!
How do you get these things off!!!!
ouuuuuuuuch!!!!
Make it stoooop make it stoooooop!!!!!

:tongue:

I dodged the smog monkeys by registering it up here in Humboldt county, probably the only county in Ca that no longer requires bi-annual smog tests. However, I didn't know I could do that and had the car ready for smog.

Collectors car insurance does not apply to Ca smog laws.

I dodged the smog monkeys by registering it up here in Humboldt county, probably the only county in Ca that no longer requires bi-annual smog tests. However, I didn't know I could do that and had the car ready for smog.

Collectors car insurance does not apply to Ca smog laws.

Humboldt County is different.
All your car has to do is take a hit and smoke like Cheech n' Chong and it's all goooooood....:biggrin:

Makes sens.....imlla.:biggrin:

A slight tangent, but very important point . .

Very hard in some states to get a "stated value" insurance policy.

If you are going the collector car policy route "stated value" will not make you happy when it is time to settle a claim.

Please insist on "agreed amount" so you can collect the value of the car and not what they think it is worth, in event of total loss.

The boring details for those who want this valuable information is here:

Frequently Asked Questions - Rally Insurance Group - www.rallyinsurance.com

Robert "buickbert" got your text message from the testing station forwarded to me by Tim, that was hilarious.

I had the same problem at a smog station with one of the TR's... The guy swore up and down that it wasn't factory. I told him I had another one at home with the same exact stuff on it.

After chatting a while, he turned out to be pretty cool and did my other TR's as well. After the first one, he was finally educated. :cool:

Luckily here in KY... there is no emisisons testing. Heck, I know several cops and a few judges that have no cats and burn rubber... Yee haw..;)

However, the weather here sucks arse! 7" of snow last weekend high 40's and sunshine today...:rolleyes:

Turbo Conversion

I have a 87 NA right now but want to throw a turbo on it in the near future. Ohio removed the emissions requirement a few years back and want to know if I put a turbo on will it fail ANY state requirements because it would be modified and not stock? If this looks like a bad idea maybe I start looking at an LS swap then.

I have a 87 NA right now but want to throw a turbo on it in the near future. Ohio removed the emissions requirement a few years back and want to know if I put a turbo on will it fail ANY state requirements because it would be modified and not stock? If this looks like a bad idea maybe I start looking at an LS swap then.

Me thinks the non-turbo engine is different enough from the turbo version that you shouldn't just bolt a turbo to it...you'll end up driving over your crank :eek:

So you think I am stuck with the engine I have? I plan on rebuilding the whole engine, top to bottom and I have heard and read from others on this site that it would work.

I thought you were tlaking about just bolting a turbo onto a motor that had not been built for it...
If you've built it for it...then that's a different story.

There are plenty of guys on this site who know a lot more than me...but there are also a lot of wingnuts, so you need to be sure you're you're listeneing to the right ones.;)
I'm somewhere in the middle...:redface:

Talk to one of the engine building pro's about the full combo you're planning to use....they'll give you the straight scoop.

As for smog...I don't know abut Ohio, but in California...
If it didn't come from the factory with a turbo...unless the car is old enough to qual for exemptions, then in Cali you'll get flunked even if it blows clean. Same goes for the LS swap...

Check the local rule book