Emissions Chip - where to get one??

schlick

Where can I get an emissions chip for a GN with stock injectors. Have a Walbro 340M hotwired and an AFR.

Thanks,

Ralph

Originally posted by schlick
Where can I get an emissions chip for a GN with stock injectors. Have a Walbro 340M hotwired and an AFR.

Thanks,

Ralph

Don't you still have the original chip? That would be perfect.

I have the same question, anyone else have any ideas where to get one. I have the stock chip and I failed haven't gotten turbolink yet so maybe with a good tune up, but a chip would be great just to get it to pass.

Originally posted by bwallace
I have the same question, anyone else have any ideas where to get one. I have the stock chip and I failed haven't gotten turbolink yet so maybe with a good tune up, but a chip would be great just to get it to pass.

Well, hate to tell you this, but if you failed with the stock chip, there's problems elsewhere that a "smog" chip isn't going to help.

The best smog chip there is would be the stock BBKJ. That's the cleanest burning chip I've seen.

You can't throw a smog chip at a crumby tune up, or missing smog parts and expect it to get through. Especially if you're in a state that has stringent testing requirements.

Some state's tests are so loose you can get through with a gutted cat and no EGR. Other states however, aren't quite so easy.

But that requires a car in good state of tune (always does).

Thanks Dave that what I figure. In Md. after you purchase a car you usually get a notice to have the emmissions checked, so I was hoping for a quick fix just to get it to pass until I can get some time to give it a good tune up.

bwallace:
Looks like Maryland uses I/M240 and a Idle test. Your thrasher92 is an open loop chip and will definitely fail the idle test. Most likely, w/out a stock prom, you'll have troubles getting through the dyno portion too.

schlick:
Virginia uses a ASM or TSI, depending on which county you live in. On the TSI (two speed idle, usually idle and 2500rpm), if you use a stock prom, I've seen TR engines blow zero on both emissions at both ranges. On ASM (emissions tested at 15mph and 25mph), the stock federal prom has less egr than the CA prom, so emissions should be pretty clean. The east coast, unlike the west coast has CO attainment problem, and either the stock CA or Fed prom controls CO really well. You may have HC problems, but nothing that would warrant a emissions prom. Like TurboDave says, use the stock prom!!!

Thanks, gentlemen. I too, was looking for a quick fix since I didn't pass with the stock prom. Guess I need to do some troubleshooting to find out what is wrong. Have a crappy idle and BLMs at 150 on Tlink. Any ideas? I know if I press the EGR diaphram when idling in park, my idle doesn't change. The EGR holds vacuum. If the EGR passages are clogged, how do I clean them. Do I remove the EGR and snake something through the passages. How do the passages route through the intake manifold and elsewhere?

My numbers for the 25 MPH test were HCppm 179, and at 15 MPH wer HC ppm 182 and NO ppm 1331. These were the areas that I failed in.

Thanks

I actually used the stock chip for emission, but knew I had other issues that caused the failure and I am hoping that with Turbolink/stock chip I will be able to pass. Funny thing about Md. emissions I postponed the follow up twice over the phone. That was almost a year ago, I sure they will catch up with me sometime, I am due again next month. Thanks again for the help!

schlick:
What are your emisssions results, including O2 content and CO2 content?
bwallace:
What kind of emissions test?

I sell emissions chips for all sizes of injectors. These are basically the BBKJ modified to run even hotter (which is good for emissions purposes). Only $15 each.

E-mail me at Scott231@Juno.com (and only this account as it is the only TR-related working account I have now).

gofstbuick.

Was in the middle of editing my post and got sidetracked.

The numbers are:

25 MPH - Limit - Reading - RPM was 1392
HC ppm 88 150
CO% 0.97 0.63
NO ppm 1082 842

15 MPH - Limit - Reading - RPM was 1485
HC ppm 157 182
CO% 0.88 0.63
NO ppm 1184 1331

As you can see I failed the HC on both speeds and the NO at 15 MPH.

How many miles on the O2 sensor and cat? Is your cat gutted?, If not, perform a temp test on the cat (decently reliable method, not the best, but should suffice). Warm the engine up, then high idle the engine for 3 minutes at 2500rpm. Put a temp probe at near the inlet and outlet of the cat. The temp change should be at least 100* hotter at the outlet (compared to the inlet). Regarding the O2 sensor, if the response speed it too slow, the sensor will not respond fast enough to help the cat work efficiently. I use a lab scope to test O2 sensors, 10 minute test, but if you don't have one, your best choice is to calculate millisecond response using the update rate of the scan tool and the O2 crosscounts. Is your EGR working or blocked off? The EGR system will affect NOx at 25mph, but not at 15mph. The reason is the EGR does not function in second gear, so it relies on the cat and O2 sensor to control NOx. But when you're in 3rd gear, the EGr will affect NOx results. A good working cat can control up to 1500ppm of NOx. Never expect a zero NOx result.

gofstbuick, the O2 sensor is only 2 months old, the cat however is years old. Is the second cat I have had on the car. The cat is not gutted. I don't know if the EGR is working correctly. It does hold vacuum and Tlink shows it active during normal driving, but when I'm parked and idling and I push up on the EGR diaphram, the idle doesn't change. I thought I remember that it is supposed to get really rough and almost stall if you do this.