emissions check/inspections in WA

The Pro

Do they have an exemption for low mile cars here?

Is this the IM-240 test?

Anyone here take that test in their car with a SEFI box?

No
They do a loaded cruise test and idle:)
Some parts of Washington dont require tests at all;) and you can register your car to those counties. Thats what i do and dont take it to emissions:D Last time i got tabs the lady at the counter asked if i wanted her to make up a address to send the reminder slip to. I use my inlaws address because they live in a county that doesnt require emissions. You can use there address if you want to get your tabs or change your plate to Washingtons ;)

Exemption only for cars less than 5 years old or older than 25 years. Here's the WA DOT emissions web site: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/cars/automotive_pages.htm

I easily passed with an emission chip even without a CAT. You could probably lean your mixture to the point of passing. There's no under the hood or emission parts inspection. Just have to pass the sniffer.

Our Turbo Buicks are nearing the age of not requiring emissions testing. Last year of testing in WA State
2008 1984 and up cars
2009 1985 and up cars
2010 1986 and up cars
2011 1987 and up cars
2012 1988 and up cars

Geno's idea is a good one. The only WA State Counties requiring emissions testing are Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish, and Spokane.

One MINOR (okay MAJOR) hitch to geno's plans.....

Because of the Light Rail Tab Tax, you must PROVE you live @ the address your registering your car too. People will be trying to use their 'summer' home, or 'in-laws' home to get around paying the Tab Tax, but the state is already 1 step ahead of those people.

Here is a link to the Washington State DOL website on this topic:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vs/residenceaddress.htm

Ryan

I was just down at the DOL the other day and they make everyone in line sign a new form that assures them of you residence. It took about 10 minutes per person just to buy tabs for my utility trailer:(

Uh, assures them?

Does it say something like "and you agree to tell us when you move to an area that *does* inspect for emissions, blah blah blah"....

I didn't read anything about emissions on it, the just want to make sure poeple are not cheating, I guess?

The emissions testing is just a nice little bonus for the state as well..... here is a 'cut & paste' from the link I posted above:

In addition to making sure all citizens are taxed fairly, the State patrol has testified that using a primary Washington residence address on vehicle records will enhance their ability to preserve the safety of the public and to quickly notify accident victims' relatives. It also will help make sure that vehicles subject to Department of Ecology emission tests will receive appropriate notice.

This is why I live in Kitsap County. Less Tax, Lower cost of living, Less Crime (except if your name is RYAN, and you drive an EXPLORER) and NO emission testing.

Ryan

On the flip side...it is only $15 every two years. Of course they will probably raise the tax. Hopefully our "old car" exemption will stick when our cars reach 25 yrs old.

Like previously mentioned, just need to get the tuning right to pass. It's not too tough to pass with modified cars but the idle can't exceed 1100rpms. You can also fail twice, then show receipts of paying a minimum of $150 for repairs to fix the emissions problem. There may be clever ways to obtain such a receipt at a discount;) :eek:

Clver indeed! I BS my way into a waiver:D Dan where were you sat. As Adum would say , you missed my wheel debut.