Electrical Mayhem pt 2

blueta

Ok, I have a new problem with my fan/cd player. My battery was dead so I decided to do a draw test. Ok, so I take off the negative cable and put my DVOM between the battery and the cable. Well the freaking fan started :confused: I took it off the fan went off. Put it on it's on again. WTF??? So I put the negative cable back on and the fan starts. To get it to turn off I had to turn the key to accessories. Then my cd player went off and the cd went out. I pushed the cd back in and while the player has no power anymore the fan started again :mad: :mad: What the hell is going on?

relay

Unplug the fan delay relay(larger relay D/S) the relay may be sticking.
CD player= :confused:

I'll unplug tomorrow. Is it the largest one? What exactly will unplugging that relay do? Will this give no power to the fan? Thanks...cd player: I think my car is just possessed :eek:

The fan Relay is the bigger of the 2 relays on the drivers side towards the windshield.

What happens is the relay gets wet, and it shorts out. Causing not only issues like thinking the car is possesed, but battery drain like a mofo! Disconnect the relay and you should be good to go. I bought a new one, and after 1 washing, the damn thing shorted again. So I tossed it and havent replaced it since. Why bother? You dont really need it anyway!

I know it shouldn't but it was plenty weird when I put the cd back in that the fan came on. Talk about weird :eek: I was thinking that the cd player was hard wired into something wrong somewhere but now I disconnected that relay and everything works fine for now.

Well this one is pretty interesting. When I turn on my headlights the "fasten seat belt" light comes on. If I open the door it goes off. What the hell is wrong with my car now?!?!!

chime module

The seat belt light might be going on because of a faulty chime module.
Some have a head light warning explaining that ghost.
The fan delay relay lets the fan run for approx 10 min. after the car is shut off if the temp is high enough, if the relay works! You know what happens when the relay dies ;)

Well it doesn't chime when the seatbelt is off so I guess that's it. You know where the chime is located so I can switch it?

module

Check under the dash between the steering column and the radio, it should be tucked up behind the dash. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Found it...but now MORE PROBLEMS! My battery was dead. 11.9volts. Alt is definitly good. Puts out 14.3volts. So I decided to check for a drain somewhere. Ok...only .02amp drain. That is more then fine. So I thought the battery was just bad. Took it to my bro's shop and had it load tested and it came out good. Could there be a bad cell or something in the battery to cause it to die sometimes and not register on a load test? On a side note, ALL the relay harnesses (where they plug into the relay) have some sort of black grease. Like dielectric grease except it's THICK like tar and very sticky. I tried to wipe it off and it ain't coming. I'm not sure if it's conductive but could this cause some problems?

The black grease is factory and should be left alone.

Did you leave the large fan delay relay unplugged? If not leave it disco'd.

Load test should find a bad cell in the battery.

Sounds like an intermittant electrical problem if the load was .020A when you read it.

Make sure that when you turn on the key without starting the car, that the volts light comes on. This seems to be a common problem lately. I had this recently. The contacts for the bulb were dirty, and since the light didn't come on, it wouldn't charge. The alternator needs feedback to charge. Good Luck.

It's definitly charging, fan relay still out. Why does it have to be an intermittant problem...those are the hardest to diagnose :mad: