Electric vacuum pumps

oldtimer

What's the opinions of running an electric vacuum pump for the crankcase ?

If so, which one is best ? How much vacuum will they produce ?

Any complete setups being sold ?

Pro's and Cons ??

Thanks,

George

Waste of $$$$.

Do a mechanical one or nothing.

Oh, if you do still want to use an electric one, I have a couple for sale. :D

The electric ones work well for me, they will however burn up quickly on a street car without some kind of cooler. On a race car this is not an issue! No more oil leaks!

elect. vac. pump,

Cal, my bone yard special when we first installed it line going to passenger side valve cover then we put a vacuum guage [ounces ] in driver side valve cover it pulled 4 ounces with engine idling about same with engine shut off, i did it to stop oil leaks or , last it took about 10 + seconds to see anything on the vacuum guage, :)

HighPSI said:
Bill,
How many inches are you able to pull at WOT?
HAHAHAHA, I dont know how to answer that!LOL!!! Actually pulls around 3" of water at 9000 rpm, give or take, we did some different things on the piston/ring combo to help it out.

EightSecV6 said:
The electric ones work well for me, they will however burn up quickly on a street car without some kind of cooler. On a race car this is not an issue! No more oil leaks!

What brand are you using if you don't mind me asking?

EightSecV6 said:
HAHAHAHA, I dont know how to answer that!LOL!!! Actually pulls around 3" of water at 9000 rpm, give or take, we did some different things on the piston/ring combo to help it out.

Bill, What type of electric pump do you use ?

George

EightSecV6 said:
LT1 smog pump with the filter removed.

Thanks Bill, I assume that with the low vacuum that these pumps produce, a relief valve is not necessary. Do you run a relief valve ?

I'm just interested in preventing oil leaks !!

George

oldtimer said:
Thanks Bill, I assume that with the low vacuum that these pumps produce, a relief valve is not necessary. Do you run a relief valve ?

I'm just interested in preventing oil leaks !!

George

No relief valve necessary,even a couple inches gives you a little HP.

You can also pull the check valve out of the LT1's and get a little more out of them, along with the foam.