Electric OD for BRF?

DedRegal

I got to wondering. In the case of retro-fitting a 200 4r into an older musclecar, one problem can often be the shifter. Particularly if you have a stock slapshift or his/hers.

Would it be possible to mod the valvebody to have Auto OD in D3 with an electric button to turn it off? Maybe use the detent from a 200 metric and put an electric solenoid in the OD circuit. <dunno> I know some foreign cars have been like this in the past. :confused: ;) It will shift into OD after 3rd automatically but you can push the button and it stays out of OD.

Would be difficult to do.
It might be possible by blocking a passage, using a transbrake solenoid, and rigging it to bypass the blocked passage to initiate OD.

The added detent isn't a huge ordeal on an older car usually.

Check with www.shiftworks.com for different detents, indicators, and conversion parts.

true. but with a ratchet shifter like in the 70's TA or a his/hers from a GTO you have 2 sets of detent plates that are not addressed by a shiftworks kit.

You lose low 1 I think.

Thanks for the response Jake! Maybe I could call Chris and ask him too :) ;)

jakeshoe said:
It is fairly easy to add a detent to the older shifters for low1.

you might be right. I havent tried. At that point the length of the shifter lever at the trans becomes a big deal.

I'm probably over-complicating things to gain simplicity.

DedRegal said:
I got to wondering. In the case of retro-fitting a 200 4r into an older musclecar, one problem can often be the shifter. Particularly if you have a stock slapshift or his/hers.

Would it be possible to mod the valvebody to have Auto OD in D3 with an electric button to turn it off? Maybe use the detent from a 200 metric and put an electric solenoid in the OD circuit. <dunno> I know some foreign cars have been like this in the past. :confused: ;) It will shift into OD after 3rd automatically but you can push the button and it stays out of OD.
im not an expert, but...... it sounds as if you are thinking of an electronic overdrive tranny, like fords. where they only show 3 speeds on the shifter but have 4 gears. a 200r4 isnt electronic as such and needs a shifter with 4 forward detents. the only thing electronic about it is the lock up of the converter and the reading of the 3/4 pressure switches, which i im not sure of what they do. the tv cable figures out when and how the tranny shifts in relation to the angle of the carb/ throttle body. this is why the 200 and 700 are popular retrofits into older muscle cars, you dont need a computer.this is just my 2 cents.