egr plugged on 84 t-type

billy 420

After years ,and i do mean years of this car not running correctly i have lent my services to try and resolve its issues. First of all car has been checked and rechecked by a very reliable mechanic and scan tool several times ,He is ready to commit himself over this car and its running issues . I dont have a scan tool that will hook into this thing ,so im forced to pull codes and check things manually .This is not my car and i have no need for a scanmaster because once this things fixed its down the road anyway. Hers what i found on this 84 t-type . The single o2 sensor was showing a code on the ses display ,repeatedly ,we replaced it ,set the tps to .50 reset the iac by using the aldl jumper method .We restarted the car after this and it ran better than it has in four years ,at least it could be driven on the road. The cars owner reported back to me the ses was on ,we jumped the aldl and read the egr code . We pulled the egr off and sure enough the air inlet or outlet was plugged .we cleaned it , reinstalled it and sure enough the car ran like a bucket of crap again .Im sure if we go through the iac reset with the aldl jumper this thing is going to run like a champ .no scan master ,no mechanic just a very persistant guy who reads alot
Stay tuned

After years ,and i do mean years of this car not running correctly i have lent my services to try and resolve its issues. First of all car has been checked and rechecked by a very reliable mechanic and scan tool several times ,He is ready to commit himself over this car and its running issues . I dont have a scan tool that will hook into this thing ,so im forced to pull codes and check things manually .This is not my car and i have no need for a scanmaster because once this things fixed its down the road anyway. Hers what i found on this 84 t-type . The single o2 sensor was showing a code on the ses display ,repeatedly ,we replaced it ,set the tps to .50 reset the iac by using the aldl jumper method .We restarted the car after this and it ran better than it has in four years ,at least it could be driven on the road. The cars owner reported back to me the ses was on ,we jumped the aldl and read the egr code . We pulled the egr off and sure enough the air inlet or outlet was plugged .we cleaned it , reinstalled it and sure enough the car ran like a bucket of crap again .Im sure if we go through the iac reset with the aldl jumper this thing is going to run like a champ .no scan master ,no mechanic just a very persistant guy who reads alot
Stay tuned

spent most of my sunday under the hood of this car.It has a timing issue .Tried several times using the dealers manuals to correct the timing ,measuring the voltage into the cam sensor while turning it counter clockwise,chased our tail all day
Finally settling for the car running the least crappy it can.i spun that cam sensor right around 360 degrees and the timing would not come into the suggested perameters of 25 degrees clockwise of top dead centre.The timing mark did however appear in the scale on the timing cover .It would move slightly from 20 degrees tdc to 18 degees tdc counterclockwise .It would not move towards the correct timing position no matter what we tried.As i was leaving i notice an exhaust leak coming from the cat .I remembered back to the old days ,timing a carbuerated car and having simalar issues timing .It would not come into spec either as i had an exhaust leak then.I think i may have stumbled onto the problem just by chance.If you cant time it ,it will never run right... stay tuned

Not going to get far without a scan tool, trust me. You should at least get a cable for winaldl. That will help a lot.

really ,even though ive made it further in a few weekends than a veteran mechanic and his scan tool have in years . I managed to get all the codes from turning on the ses ,a major accomplishment as far as im concerned .Im just tired of watching the owner keeping this thing like a baby ,bringing it in and out of storage every year ,only to never be able to drive it without embarrassing running problems . I appreciate the advice ,but i already know its not running right ,and the cause,throwing any more money at it is not an option .Just here to share my findings ,not for advice ...stay tuned

Pulling codes really isn't a major accomplishment. Even when going by gm flow charts you still need a scan tool. Have fun

if you read a little closer youll see there are no more codes showing only a timing problem remains .who cares what you think there farva .You go play with your scanmaster readings ill fix this thing .

your t-type obviously runs like a champ since your scouring these online forums .lol
For someone that's not used to the operating systems on these cars you seem pretty cocky. The scantool will give you more than codes which is why it was suggested. There's some good info and some great people on the board that will help you if you're willing to listen to them. If not, you'll have a harder time fixing the car. I'd keep this in mind if you decide to blow someone off that's actually trying to help you.;)

let it go man ,seriously have you heard me ask you for advice - no . If i had my way these cars would have been crushed years ago .I dont care ,go ague with your old lady not me dude !

Yes actually my ttype does run like a champ and it hauls ass. I have suggestions but I think I'll just sit back here and watch you fumblefuck around for a few more weekends.

The tps is set wrong and you can't set the idle without a scantool....for more hints, stay tuned:D

turning the cam sensor is supposed to move it but like i said trying to time a car with a hole out the cat is the major problew , we have a spare can sensor ill probably use it next time i try

If a dedicated mechanic with a scanmaster cannot make sense of this in 4 years (someone who knows how to read the info being gathered)what makes you think i could ? you think this car will run properly with an exhaust leak ? hows that work ? it effects your o2 sensor readings in turn effecting your af ratios .Oh i get it i post my scan master readings and wait for some help online !!hahaha

and im pretty sure dumping another 16psi (map sensor not hooked up with airline ) ) into the engine isnt helping matters with anything

A hole in the cat isn't going to effect it, who tells you this? Besides the cam sensor is set with the engine off. It is possible the cam sensor could be bad but I wouldn't pull it until that's been verified. There could be multiple issues that have just built up over the years which the computer can no longer compensate for. I would check the driver side header for cracks, check all the ecm fuses (they've been known to blow and still let the car run, but run like crap), get the tps set correctly for now. Don't know what brand of 02 that was put in but do not use bosch, use denso or acdelco. Replace all the vacuum lines and be done with it. This guy is gonna have to spend some money no matter what. I highly suggest you have him buy a plug for the winaldl program. It will be the best 30 bucks he ever spent. You will need this to verify maf operation, blm, iac counts, tps (to see what the ecm sees, not what the voltmeter sees), cross counts, block learn integrator (ecm relearn), 02 at idle and wot, etc. For now I would also make a block off plate for the egr just to make sure it isn't causing a vac leak. Make sure you leave the rest of the stuff hooked up though and plug the vac lines.

All the cam sensor does is tell the injectors when to fire after start up. You are going to have to reset this before doing anything. The reason the "veteran mechanic" couldn't fix anything because he didn't know what he was looking for, and most don't. obd1 may be less sophisticated than obd2 but you still need a scan tool and base scan values to get things right. Little things are what makes the difference on an FI car that runs, and one that runs "better"

I got my homemade cable from this guy. He does a good job http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/showThread.cgi?forum=4&thread=041052&style=printable

I don't know if he still makes them or not but it's worth a shot. If you do get one from him you have to bend one prong down otherwise it will go into diagnostic mode at all times.

Here's the program you can download. http://winaldl.joby.se/ there's also instructions on how to make your own cable but I'd just buy one if possible. You will also need a 9pin to usb adaptor unless you have an older computer. THese adaptors can be had off ebay cheap and they work.

You keep wasting your weekends doing it your way and putting things out of whack even more than what they are or you can fix it the way I suggested. Yes I do have things I could be doing now but since I'm such a nice I guy I decided to post all this to help you get that car running. It may be a good idea to have the owner get in on some of this also, it will be nothing but beneficial for him.

show's what you know, the map sensor doesn't mean shit, the digital tach doesn't read right, there's no 02s after the cat to affect anything. Just quit while you're NOT ahead and read what I wrote.