Cruz 12-1 crank trigger on ECUGN

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
We installed and set up one of the new Cruz 12-1 crank trigger setups on an ECUGN car this past weekend. Excellent results so far. Still gotta take the car out on the road an rough it up a bit. Starts up super quick.
Thanks Bob & Eric for all the help, and Thanks Mr. Cruz for making new stuff for these old cars.

cruz pulley 0deg.jpeg

cruz pulley running.png

Attachments

• composite log.jpg
    composite log.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 18
Is that a bhj balancer? When you set it up 60 degrees btdc did the crank sensor align with the red mark on the pulley? Mine didn't and I am not close to starting the car yet just wondering if the measurements Cruze gives is just to put it in the ballpark.

Is that a bhj balancer? When you set it up 60 degrees btdc did the crank sensor align with the red mark on the pulley? Mine didn't and I am not close to starting the car yet just wondering if the measurements Cruze gives is just to put it in the ballpark.
Yes, BHJ.
For the ECUGN we actually set it up using 60 ATDC#1, which also happens to be 60 BTDC#6.

The reason for this is that the ECUGN is configured for cylinder 6 internally. It's all about cylinder #6 with the ECUGN.

The photo above shows TDC#1. Set your timing indicator to 0 degrees and bolt up your pulley so it looks like this one.

From here if you rotate the crank clockwise to magnet#1 (magnet#1 is to the left of the red mark) you should be showing very close to 50 ATDC#1, which is coincidentally 70 BTDC#6. In the calibration set tooth #1 angle to 70 degrees because magnet #1 is coming in a 70 degrees BTDC#6.

The next part is setting the cam sensor. Stock is 25 ATDC#1 compression. You will want to advance it to 30 BTDC#1 compression so it comes in ahead of magnet#11. It's important that it comes in before magnet#11 and not after magnet#11 (in the gap!). 30 BTDC#1 is good but you could go more and still be perfectly good. Check it using a casper tool and also check it using the composite logger while cranking.

I posted more detail about it over on the turbotweak forum.

Yes, BHJ.
For the ECUGN we actually set it up using 60 ATDC#1, which also happens to be 60 BTDC#6.

The reason for this is that the ECUGN is configured for cylinder 6 internally. It's all about cylinder #6 with the ECUGN.

The photo above shows TDC#1. Set your timing indicator to 0 degrees and bolt up your pulley so it looks like this one.

The sensor timing and cylinder configuration of the ecuGN were designed to be like the stock ECM so that the stock cam sensor timing would be valid without having to compensate in the tune with strange values. (The stock ECM syncs on #6)

But like Steve says, set the engine to TDC, install the pulley so it looks like the picture, turn the cam sensor 1/8 of a turn CCW (or use his more precise method) and set up the tune for the new hardware.

The TurboTweak forum has some more in-depth details.

Bob