EGR block off plate not sealing correctly

bsdlinux

Just Another BLACK Car
Ok I have two different styles of the EGR block-off plate. I have the thinner one and the very thick billet one. I have tried both of them with and without a gasket, new gasket, copper RTV etc.

I'm still using the original stud and nut, is this the problem? I'm guessing the stud and nut is too much clamp force which is causing the plates not to seal at the top?

Originally I figured that thin plate was just crap and went to the the thicker plate but it still leaked. :frown:

Manifold is in good shape, the EGR valve will seal just fine.

I use the original clamp for the EGR valve. Not the best looking but would definitely solve your problem. You might also want to try using "The Right Stuff" That seems to have better "glueing" properties than regular RTV. Here's a pic of mine, not the best angle but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Picture 556.jpg
    Picture 556.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 206
Fill up with epoxy, then you won't have to worry about it leaking...After that you can put your nice plate on with the nice looking bolt it comes with and be clean looking.

Fill up with epoxy, then you won't have to worry about it leaking...After that you can put your nice plate on with the nice looking bolt it comes with and be clean looking.

I plugged the hole with some screen mesh, then filled it with JB Weld. Sealed great! Can even run w/out the plate now;)

Ok so the plate is truly just a dress up item and not really functional ..LOL :rolleyes: no wonder I never put one on any my cars before :cool:

Oh no I used one on my last car with success...I'm just saying if you are having issues there are other ways to skin the cat.

On my new car (ported intake and heads) it's welded shut on the inside.