edelbrock 204/214 advice

black-is-back

after doing my research all over the internet i couldnt find a solid answer to wether or not i would need to cut my valve guides down in order to use the edelbrock 204/214 cam. some people say the retainers will hit the valve guide and others say it'll work no problem. i'm tired of hours worth of research and would like to get a solid answer to this dilemma. not mixed emotions on the subject, i want someone that has put this cam in there car without any head modifications and has had zero problems...thanks!

works on stock head no problem

the specs are in .280/ ex .295 at the lobe
listed at .448 / .472

Attachments

• 204-214-cam-card.jpg
    204-214-cam-card.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 140
If the engine's never been rebuilt or heads surfaced then you shouldn't have any problems. I have seen a few guys that've had issues once the heads have been resurfaced or block has been decked, but not very often.

Put it in my motor, it still runs lol! I wish there was a sticky explaining cams and affects in a turbo engine. Some guys say split duration is good and others say same duration is good. wtfidk

thats .448 / .472 using the stock 1.55 ratio rockers

Agreed. However... the "lift at valve" specs on that card are based on a 1.6 rocker. There will be even more clearance with the stock rockers (which usually measure at less than 1.55)

never noticed that they didnt base gross off stock ratio...

with stock rocker that cam is only .434 in / .457ex

Some guys say split duration is good and others say same duration is good. wtfidk
A split duration cam works well down to the high 10's, but after that the split duration hurts performance.;) Did a ton of reading up on the effects of different cams on turbo engines and after going though all of it including dyno runs I found that the high 10's is where it starts hurting performance.

Great cam. Idles like a stocker, yet pulls really well to redline. Break it in right and it will last you. I broke it in using Rotella T 15w40 (high zinc diesel oil) and that's it. I haven't run synthetic, or zddp, etc. Only plain jane Castrol oil. Granted, if I was really wanting it to last I should have used ZDDP every once in a while, but it has lasted many years, and many, many miles.

pacecarta said:

listed at .448 / .472

Thats .434/.457 for those running a 1.55 rocker ratio. Too close to not verify its not a problem imo. Probably not a problem on most since the lobes probably aren't designed for a Buick cam core and will shrink and some lift will be lost and the lifters and geometry will give up some lift also.