EBay PVC catch can

Several years ago a member was making a turbo saver type kit that mounted the filter to that area. Never heard if it was affected by the heat. Personally I'm not in favor of mounting so8mething in that area.
I had a second filter for the turbo in that spot for 6 years and never had any issues.

I had a bracket bent up & powder coated which mounts my cans on the fender well, on a flat spot (beside battery box).
It's about as close to the turbo as I'd like to get....don't think I'd be attaching them to the turbo heat shield....just to hot for my liking.

View attachment 223882
I just installed the same turbo shield. Needed a small spacer for the screws since it was originally designed for the GNX. I really like it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-87-GRA...MqEP5nh65w5f1vs%2BWlE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Well looks like it works.... to well...LOL!!

I gathered 6 oz of oil in under 100 miles of travel. As it turns out I didn't place any type of baffle between my PVC and the low pressure area inside the motor. Consequently I am sucking oil that is flung off the cam.

After several conversations with Bison, Nick and TurboRick to help me define the problem and gather input on how to remedy this issue I will be changing my set-up. Not sure if I will just add to this thread or start a new one....

Going to try the pcv in the valve cover?

For now the PVC is plugged. I have over 100 miles on it with no issues. With the low miles and frequent oil changes I may never hook it back up....

I will use the catch can for an elec. evacuation setup I have been wanting to do.

Most likely I will have a sealed system under boost where the pump will pull the excess air. When in vaccum, either a PVC to the throtlebody or simply vent excess gasses to atmosphere...undecided....

Are you using a bathtub style intake gasket? If not, there is a company that makes a drop in piece to keep oil off the intake manifold (and pcv).

If you use a closed evac system, the line to pump will act as a vent when not in boost.

Do I have to remove the intake to install this "PVC" part? Who sells it? Do you know anyone who used it?

Yep I was counting on that....but I am thinking of a breather on one side that would be open in vaccum and closed in boost....

Well looks like it works.... to well...LOL!!

I gathered 6 oz of oil in under 100 miles of travel. As it turns out I didn't place any type of baffle between my PVC and the low pressure area inside the motor. Consequently I am sucking oil that is flung off the cam.

After several conversations with Bison, Nick and TurboRick to help me define the problem and gather input on how to remedy this issue I will be changing my set-up. Not sure if I will just add to this thread or start a new one....
I was draining mine constantly after I first installed it but now I have hardly any oil in it after 1000 miles. I don't have a clue why this is. I've checked it and the PVC is working and pulling vacuum.

I also have one on my valve covers and I never get anything out of that one.

If you scroll down to page 4 you'll see a plate for a V8 but V6 looks just like it. Yes, you have to pull the manifold.
The block needs to be closed to draw vacuum through it. If you have a vent in the valve cover the pump will not have any pull. The pumps only pull a few inches, not the race ones.

I was draining mine constantly after I first installed it but now I have hardly any oil in it after 1000 miles. I don't have a clue why this is. I've checked it and the PVC is working and pulling vacuum.

I also have one on my valve covers and I never get anything out of that one.

Your out of oil.....LOL!

If you scroll down to page 4 you'll see a plate for a V8 but V6 looks just like it. Yes, you have to pull the manifold.
The block needs to be closed to draw vacuum through it. If you have a vent in the valve cover the pump will not have any pull. The pumps only pull a few inches, not the race ones.

Ya...I got that from the conversation with Nick. So I was thinking of some type of selinoid that would close the line between valve cover and atmosphere based either on pressannce of boost pressure...

Hmmm...thinking out loud here...any benefit to running a pump on both valve covers? If they are acting as vents when not running.....why not??? Still no PVC though...idk....

Yes, you can plumb to both. No need to make the system overly complicated. The wiring kit from Racetronix has a Hobbs switch that comes at 4psi so until you start to make boost the pump is off (and letting outside air into the engine via the valve covers so you still can run a pcv).

I meant two evac pumps....

I won't use the racetronics kit as I have a hobs activating my double pumper..I'll just drop on a relay to be triggered on when the hobs goes on...

No intention to remove the intake right now...I may try to design something that I can slip into the PVC hole that will limit the oil draw or simply separate and allow it to drop right back into the engine

I don't see any bad spelling...
2 pumps is not going to gain you anything but extra electrical draw. The Racetronix kit turns the evac on at 4 psi. Early enough to start to draw out air. Typical dp Hobbs switches are 15 or so. That will be too late.

Here's how I mounted mine. I made a bracket that goes behind the radiator. I still have to paint it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 83
I don't see any bad spelling...
2 pumps is not going to gain you anything but extra electrical draw. The Racetronix kit turns the evac on at 4 psi. Early enough to start to draw out air. Typical dp Hobbs switches are 15 or so. That will be too late.

Rolling eyes on spelling comment...

I'm not sold that there is no benefit....I think tjere are many factors that could come into play....but I am in no means saying that your wrong..

Has anyone been able to verify if these pumps actually create a vaccum inside the block at boost? Or does the excess block pressure just blow past the pump at some point? Did you see the guy that vented his front cover?

My DP system is not typical... My second pump comes on at 4-5 psi...