Ebay is getting greedy!

yeah i got an email from them today stating all the price hikes....lucky for me i buy via ebay, not sell :p

these people are bitching about paying $72 more a year to operate there store on ebay, I don't see the prob. 99% of americans waste more than that a month if not a week. if $72 a year is going to put you out of buis. you need to close your doors right now!

Originally posted by TurboIndian
these people are bitching about paying $72 more a year to operate there store on ebay, I don't see the prob. 99% of americans waste more than that a month if not a week. if $72 a year is going to put you out of buis. you need to close your doors right now!

That is besides the point as it does effect everyone. The listing fees are outrageous now and the customer service is diplorable for a company that made $800+ in the first 3/4 of 2004.
The time is ripe for some entrepaneur to counter with another auction site that features better service and lower prices with out the bs.

I'm guessing as the site grows and attracts more people they need to cover the costs.

I don't see how people making hundreds to thousands of dollars can complain about that,.

Their CGI writers/db people are retards, I changed my email address months ago and it still has **** go to my original email addy. I had a hell of a time with it, people sent me payments and I didn't know it for half a week. I had to email them and tell them to cancel stuff and send it to the new email. Whenever someone has something on their auction that says "do not use checkout" this is probably why.

I buy and resell full time now between feeBay and yardsales. Last billing period, I sold about $3,000 gross. I had to pay over $400 in fees to use ebay services. They constantly double bill me and charge me for fees that I did not incurr.

If you email them about any problem, all they do is send you a link to some page that has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

I can not wait for another site to be able to get the traffic like ebay does. The big O's fees are about half of feebay, but stuff just does not sell over there.

I am almost ready to just take my items to one of those resellers so I do not have to deal with thier BS anymore.

Its kinda of ironic, since people complained about sites such as Yahoo and MSN. Too many advertisements, too much crap.
Thats how Google came about. Thoses guys werent out to make a ton of money. Just to right something that was wrong.
Its only a matter of time before someone does the same thing with a good auction site. Maybe they will have live support and real customer service too ;)

I sell allot on eBay and between them and PayPal fee's it's not worth my time any more. I do wish someone else would come along with a better site. If you are fair, people will sell more.. if you tear into their pocket, they will sell less. I dunno. Hopefully one of these young computer nerd kids make a new auction site and and turns the heat for GreedBay!

Originally posted by progress1vebmx
I'm guessing as the site grows and attracts more people they need to cover the costs.

If ebay (or ANY company for that matter) adds 20% (for example) more people doing business, then it stands to reason they're going to make 20% more money...

I'm self employed, and I can tell you this: If I add 20% more customers and have to raise my prices because of it, I'm not doing it right!!
:eek:

I smell a greedy bunch of rats... do we have another bunch of board room guys speeding up their retirement bank accounts the way the Enron & K-mart boys did?
:rolleyes:

I deal alot on E-Bay too. Even if you just buy it still costs you more. I think it sucks! Pure greed! I also used Racing Junk early on and now they are upping their fees. Does another auction site besides E-Bay exist? Let's use them! I agree with the statement about security and operations of E-Bay. I don't know how many times I see scam auctions and get E-mails from people trying to scam. Hopefully it will backfire in their face!

Originally posted by Intercooler
Does another auction site besides E-Bay exist? Let's use them!

www.overstock.com

Looks very identical to feebay... just does not get the traffic that it should. I mean, look they have at max - 50,000 items in ALL of thier categories. FeeBay has what like, 50,000,000?

It is gradually growing, but slower than it should.

I've cut way down in the money I've given to E-bay in the last year by directing people to my web site to buy stuff, instead of from those crooks. If you make it two clicks away, it's currently legal to do this (who knows for how long, though?). I use E-bay adds for advertising, only. Why would I want someone to "buy it now" from E-bay, when I make more money if they "buy it now" from my website.

The E-bay jerks still get their paypal cut, so it's not like they are going hungry.

i have been using ebay as a buyer for years and love it, then i sold some 500 dollars stuff, that month the bill from ebay and paypal was silly expensive, i like the convience of paypal, but rather have a check sent for the expensive stuff, its a real 1...2 punch with the stacked fees.
Grant

They are nickel & diming us to death. I don't understand why someone else has not come along to give them some competition

oh... and it's not just the store fees they are increasing - it's gallery, Buy-it-now, and more... You know, the most popular options:(

NO support, NO reply, Too busy to respond

Been there done that.

I recently purchased a horse saddle for my wife for Christmas 2004. I used my credit card and ebay /paypal, same owners, pulled the money from my business account. I tried to contact support and NO REPLY EVER. It has been 4 weeks and still no reply to my email sent.

People do need to complain AND shop around! I raise my prices based on if I think I can get it. Sure they might lose some customers but where else will they go.

Maybe google should divert some of their money from stocks sold and implement a new type of ebay.