Easy Upgrades?

matt188

I have a stock 87 t type. It has 65k miles. Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive bolt on performance upgrades?

The most effective and least expensive thing to make these cars haul ass is "Knowledge". I'm not sure if this was the answer you were looking for, but it's the truth. Take your time and learn what these fickle little engines need to be happy and haul ass. They will tell you what they want, if you're willing to listen. It ain't that hard for those that have patience. And your lucky. Knowledge is something we give away for free here. ;)

Start here. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
Report back when your done. Your actually not that far from having a twelve or eleven second car. Knowledge is the key...

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

The most effective and least expensive thing to make these cars haul ass is "Knowledge". I'm not sure if this was the answer you were looking for, but it's the truth. Take your time and learn what these fickle little engines need to be happy and haul ass. They will tell you what they want, if you're willing to listen. It ain't that hard for those that have patience. And your lucky. Knowledge is something we give away for free here. ;)

Start here. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
Report back when your done. Your actually not that far from having a twelve or eleven second car. Knowledge is the key...

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Damn good answer right here..

Now that's sound advice. A lack of funds kept me from making a lot of mistakes and costing me a small fortune in repair parts, having come from chevies. I spent a long time reading and once I had the funds, I was able to apply the gained knowledge to determine what would work for me and my goals. The unfortunate part was getting the fever for more power!!! It's an addictioin!!!!

I'm a newbie myself, but I have read that the biggest mistake a lot of guys make is throwing on a big turbo as one of the first mods. That usually will slow you down, and you may be able to go further than you think with the stock turbo.
The first things to do are probably a new/better fuel pump, adjustable fuel regulator, maybe an adjustable wastegate, conical air filter, new valvesprings (LT1, or comp 980), and maybe bigger injectors with of course the matching chip (Turbo Tweak makes a good chip and has injector/chip packages). That will allow you to start adding some power without going lean. And of course a Scanmaster or some kind of other scan tool is pretty much mandatory. Again, I am a newb too so some veterans may want to chime in here.

I have a stock 87 t type. It has 65k miles. Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive bolt on performance upgrades?
:pompous:Before ANYTHING
Scan tool...
not sexy, but neither is a blowed-up TB :confused:
X2 to all the above

D o_O

It seems to be hard to get a hold of a Scanmaster these days; they always seem to be out of stock. :(

Depends on what you call "inexpensive" Bang for the buck 1) fuel pump with hotwire kit 2) 237 regulator 3) injectors, either 42.5's or 60's 4)Matching Chip (TurboTweak) 5) Free flowing exhaust..THDP or equivilant.

All good advice. I echo getting a scanmaster and lots of reading first.

Engine info is key .... scanmaster, fuel pressure gauge, & boost gauge (not the factory one).

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Ok Mike! Thank you for the info! Here is what I have so far. Sorry if' it's long:

o2: 746
KR: 0.0
AF: 06
L8: 44
BAT: 13.6
INT: 128
BL: 134
MPH: 0
CLT: 167
ATS: 102
R: 750-800
TPS: .38
IAC: 55
CC: 57
NAL: 00
42lb Injector/Chip Combo (Chip v5.7) installed.
160 thermostat.
no adj fuel pressure regulator.
Stock fuel pump
no hot wire kit installed.
Spring Cleaning done in Sept 2013.
Original Turbo.
Factory Air box.
Has K&N breathers.
Don't know if previous owner used ZDDPlus oil Additive.
Original timing chain.
No after market boost gauge.
Stock turbo downpipe.
Cat and exhaust have been upgraded.

Has power master, just had all brakes done and replaced bowl.

ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
THANK YOU.

Your TPS is a little low. Try to turn it to .42. Other than that all the readings look pretty good. You will need the hotwire on the fuel pump and a better fuel pump and adjustable FPR.

I would say the best bang for the buck I did was the Alkycontrol and RJC boost controller. Once my car hits 20-24psi it comes alive. My engine has stock internals other than ARP head studs nothing has been done to it.

Nice!
Do you understand what the data means? What area do you live in?
So far, so good.:)

Mike B.

The factory LED boost gauge and tach are notoriously inaccurate, so you may want to get aftermarket ones. And the stock airbox is pretty restrictive, so you may want to get opinions from the more experienced guys here as to what the best air intake option would be.

Nice!

Mike B.
Actually no. I got one response that my TPS is low and should be @ 42. I'm not sure how to adjust it. I'm in central Florida. What you recome

Nice!

Mike B.

Sorry internet went down...Actually no. I got one response that my TPS is low and should be @ 42. I'm not sure how to adjust it. I'm in central Florida. What would you recommend for an airbox and it seems like an upgraded fuel pump and hotwire kit is the consensus from the group. Any idea what I would be in for cost wise?

Depends on what you call "inexpensive" Bang for the buck 1) fuel pump with hotwire kit 2) 237 regulator 3) injectors, either 42.5's or 60's 4)Matching Chip (TurboTweak) 5) Free flowing exhaust..THDP or equivilant.

Thanks Mike. I have a scanmaster and 42lb Injector/Chip Combo (Chip v5.7) installed. How much would the 1) fuel pump with hotwire kit 2) 237 regulator run me? And would I notice a big difference? Also which airbox would you recommend?