Early 80's Ferrari 308 or 65' Buick Riviera

jpwahler

I'm at least another year out from making a move but I can't decide to go with the Riv or the 308. Two completely different cars but both beautiful (and suprisingly affordable). I have a bad feeling that the Ferrari will be a BIG pain in the azz for service. Also, if a Ferrari licensed service center doesn't do the service, it diminishes the value.

The Ferrari version of TurboBuick.com is FerrariChat.com. Very different from TurboBuick...definetly not in a good way. I have a feeling most of these guys don't get their hands dirty. I enjoy working on the cars that I own. But at the end of the day, it would be fun to own one.

The 65' Riviera is drop dead gorgeous, less service issues, but lacks the community (again, like TurboBuick).

So what's your opinion...would you own a 308 or a 65 Riv?

39280-500-0.jpg

Looks and looks only. The Ferrari is an absolute dog but has that iconic Ferrari look. The Riv because of all the incredible detail that was taken. The wood appointments on the interior are real, all the chrome detail inside that blows any classic cadillac I've seen away, and of course, the clam shell headlights.

I was looking at a white 308 before I bought my Grand National (much to my girlfriend's disappointment).

Any way, to answer your question, simply looks and collectability. I also believe both these cars would hold their value and appreciate well.

If you have to chose from those two I personally would go with the Riv! The 308 GTB's are too "Magnum PI" for me and just a tad over rated if you ask me.

Thats my thought..

SW.

Cmon, I love Magnum PI.:biggrin: I agree with the Riv choice tho. The Ferrari is probably an arm and a leg to work on at any exotic car service shop and they aint very fast either.

What does a 308 fetch these days?

My folks had 2 '65 Rivs at one point, and also had bought a '75 riv new, their only new car... much to my disappointment, I ended up getting the '75 as my first car. Was on it's 4th transmission and everytype of fluid that went it in, it leaked it out, least it had a 455:rolleyes: Sure would like to find a '65 GS, or find a '65 roller and put in an LC2:D

You could find a pontiac "mera", was a fiero that was factory built to look like a 308 if you have to have a ferrari without the expense of having it maintained at an exclusive shop.

I'd still go with the riv

Thanks Bryan! Was about to ask how you could search different craigslists:D

I have my firefox modified so i could use crazedlist, but you actually have to pick regions and go back and forth.

That search tempest is great, i type in my zip code, figure how far i am willing to drive and see what pops up. Ive done some crazy stuff, and using craigslist has been very helpful.

There is also oodle . com and it shows alot of different stuff you cant find on craigslist. Shows alot of odd sites you would never see locally unless you searched for it specifically.

All the women on craigslist are woof woofs,... ask me how i know. On going joke with a friend of mine, lots of dogs on craigslist. LOL

BW :)

This is kind of funny, I have a champagne 65 Riviera that has a bunch of rare options and is beautiful. I hate to do it but I think its gonna be up for sale. Only thing is that its not the GS but it is all original. Let me know if anyone is interested, if not im just gonna keep it.:D

Get a hold of notacarlo about the cost of the ferrari. I'm sure he can get you some pricing of parts and such.

and just for the record the Riv blows the ferrari out on coolness in my opinion.

Buying a Ferrari is easy. Maintaining a Ferrari is where you get nailed...or as we like to call it, "the deep end". Not because the dealer tries to kill the client, but because the parts are hard to acquire....even for us.

We have restored 6 308's since March of last year. I can steer you around the expensive stuff, but some of the services are mandatory. Interference motors become quite a hassle when timing belts let loose. A reconditioned 308 motor is about the cost of a low mileage T-type that needs minimal body work.

If you need prices and general service quotes, send me a PM.

Get the Riviera.

Did I just say that?