E85 Water Absorbtion

E85 has lots of scary rumors associated with it. I start my car up once a week when my tank is full of e85 and I'm not driving it. Starts and runs perfect every time and it's been the same gas for months and months. Convert to e85 and have fun...everything you read will most likely never happen to you.

HUH .. .Seriously .. HOW are you getting water in a non compressive state in the cylinder for it to go BOOM.. doesn't it have to go past a fuel injector first ??? It would be atomized at that point and going into a cylinder that would instantly turn it into a gas ...

The car may run like crap with water in the fuel.. but you certainly won't hydrolock a motor from the little to no water found in your ethanol fuel...

IF you have a Turbo Buick , and have E85 available... and you still aren't running it.. you've completely missed the boat..............

The situation you have stated is exactly what I have found to be true in a few cases including my race car.

Getting it ready for the track, it was running like crap and after lots of checking we found the fuel rails full of water? :(

I drain my tank at least twice a year to prevent this, even though I think the race fuel was contaminated, too much water was present for condensation here in the desert.

It is easy to completely drain the fuel cell and will continue to do that occasionally, and will not let the e-85 street cars sit too long w/o running.

Well not sure if this will help out or not... but everyone I've converted over to E85 ... after they run it and see for themselves the difference in not only performance.. but how all the rumors and BS associated with E85 just from people who DON'T know just aren't true....

They ALL have come back and said .. WHY have I waited this long to try it ?
To see their response the first time they experience RACE fuel level BOOST / TIMING on "out of the pump" fuel is priceless.

I will say this for the price of the conversion approx $350 .. nothing will add this kind of performance.

$255 shipped for Brand new 80# Siemens injectors that is a DEAL !!!! Add in a TT chip and you will have a smile from ear to ear.
The cars run so much better .. they literally do not feel like the same cars.. not only WOT but just driving .. idle quality.. etc etc

If your not on E85 with a Turbo Buick.. your missing out.. it changes the playing field altogether .

Thats a great deal if you have a stockish motor
I run out of 83's at about 17psi
100%d/c as per XFI...
And this winter I'm finally porting the heads and intake LOL
Weldon pump,-12 inlet -10 to engine,dual -8s to the rails -6 post rails to regulator and -8 return
thinking after the port even 120's will run out prob going 160's
just my real world experience
-Dan

The situation you have stated is exactly what I have found to be true in a few cases including my race car.

Getting it ready for the track, it was running like crap and after lots of checking we found the fuel rails full of water? :(

I drain my tank at least twice a year to prevent this, even though I think the race fuel was contaminated, too much water was present for condensation here in the desert.

It is easy to completely drain the fuel cell and will continue to do that occasionally, and will not let the e-85 street cars sit too long w/o running.
big X2 on that one Nick!
Starting to snow today...I'll be back later...pumping out the cell as prev posted!
-Dan

My SC Regal set for about 6 months and now I have a random misfire and have replaced everything and still it misses. I'm beginning to think it is a injector from the old E85 that was in the tank. I used the Sta-bil but I still worry about the condensation build up in the tank. Going to pull the injectors this week so I guess we'll find out.

My SC Regal set for about 6 months and now I have a random misfire and have replaced everything and still it misses. I'm beginning to think it is a injector from the old E85 that was in the tank. I used the Sta-bil but I still worry about the condensation build up in the tank. Going to pull the injectors this week so I guess we'll find out.
Stabil only works up to 6 months, closer to 90 days.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thats a great deal if you have a stockish motor
I run out of 83's at about 17psi
100%d/c as per XFI...
And this winter I'm finally porting the heads and intake LOL
Weldon pump,-12 inlet -10 to engine,dual -8s to the rails -6 post rails to regulator and -8 return
thinking after the port even 120's will run out prob going 160's
just my real world experience
-Dan
My motor has ported heads 208/208 cam te44 hair dryer(sitting in a box but will install soon) 2.75 exhaust 3" DP stock IC 36# squitters

If I switch over to e85, with 80# injectors would I run out?

Try Seafoam.. it works much better than Sta-bil ... seen some pretty nasty things happen with Sta-bil

My motor has ported heads 208/208 cam te44 hair dryer(sitting in a box but will install soon) 2.75 exhaust 3" DP stock IC 36# squitters

If I switch over to e85, with 80# injectors would I run out?

Depends on power.. I have been middle 10s.. if your not that fast then you'll have less fuel requirements faster you'll have more

Depends on power.. I have been middle 10s.. if your not that fast then you'll have less fuel requirements faster you'll have more

We were guessing around 400hp and 500tq with stock turbo 110 race gas and 24# boost.

With how your car is setup, especially being a street car sitting at a reasonable boost setting I'm sure you can get away with 80s. However it's better to go a little bigger than smaller. I'd get some precision 120s or any good brand and call it a day sir.

Glad to hear you went with a 44 btw....hands down one of my favorite turbos :)

With how your car is setup, especially being a street car sitting at a reasonable boost setting I'm sure you can get away with 80s. However it's better to go a little bigger than smaller. I'd get some precision 120s or any good brand and call it a day sir.

Glad to hear you went with a 44 btw....hands down one of my favorite turbos :)

Just need to install it... Wanna help? I have a 150qt cooler full of beer :D

Also, with the 120s the ECU would need to be modified correct?

I believe so if they are low impedance which all the 120s I have seen are. Modifying the ecu isn't expensive or difficult....you can get 90-100# high IMp ones though if you don't wanna deal with that.

You have new turbo gaskets or copper RTV laying around?

I believe so if they are low impedance which all the 120s I have seen are. Modifying the ecu isn't expensive or difficult....you can get 90-100# high IMp ones though if you don't wanna deal with that.

You have new turbo gaskets or copper RTV laying around?
You need both or either? I think I may have some copper rtv

HUH .. .Seriously .. HOW are you getting water in a non compressive state in the cylinder for it to go BOOM.. doesn't it have to go past a fuel injector first ??? It would be atomized at that point and going into a cylinder that would instantly turn it into a gas ...

The car may run like crap with water in the fuel.. but you certainly won't hydrolock a motor from the little to no water found in your ethanol fuel...

WIVES TALES ... and rumors ...

IF you have a Turbo Buick , and have E85 available... and you still aren't running it.. you've completely missed the boat.

In my opinion running a Turbo Buick on 91/93 pump fuel is a complete waste of time .. might as well drive a 4 cylinder focus
you wanna run fast or run pump fuel.. pick one

E85 Really lets the cars run to their potential.. NIGHT and DAY different from 93
Where in your right mind did you read that once water is atomized it will turn into gas? Can you also search for me and find out how to turn things into gold?!

I wasn't going to entertain him. But anywho water can be atomized just not compressed.

Where in your right mind did you read that once water is atomized it will turn into gas? Can you also search for me and find out how to turn things into gold?!

GAS as in a FLUID ... i.e. water vapor... you know like Steam .. Now the question is were you in your right mind thinking GASOLINE ... I realize this is the E85 forum but I think some guys are drinkin right out of the pump

I wasn't going to entertain him. But anywho water can be atomized just not compressed.

Yes it can be compressed ... look at water cutting jets.. they use compressed water to cut ceramics

No shit water can be atomized. Almost any liquid can be atomized to a certain degree. but just because you atomize a element or compound, does not mean it can be used at the operating pressures and temperature of a petrol engine as a fuel to inhibit pre-ignition. Just when it compresses the hydrogen in the water goes boom.