Dyna Gear Steel timing set

granitestategn

Gettin' there
Do I need to use a tensioner with the Dyna Gear steel timing set? The part number is 78129. It a double roller.

Do not run the stock tensioner setup with a double roller timing chain as the tensioner will destroy itself throwing pieces into the pan and in the oil system. I run a Cloyes true roller double roller setup with good sucess.
Mitch

I've seen different opinions.
I bought the Mellings & the tensioner from my local Advance Auto Parts I bought a bearing type button retainer from a vendor.

I have the same Dynagear DR chain, but it's PN 78128. Anyone know what the difference is?

TIA
Steve

Just answered my own ?

Apparently 78128 is for '75-'77 231 V6's, and 78129 is for '77-'86 engines....but will it still work in an '87 GN?

Steve

Black Box

It should. 86 and 87 engine was the same. Are you (or did you) use the tensioner with that. I haven't tried putting mine on yet. From what I've seen posted on the board before, I'm guessing I won't need the tensioner because it's a double roller. It should be obvious after it's installed on the crank. Just wanted to save myself an extra trip to the parts store in the middle of the job. I hate that. I'd rather have too many part and return some than not have everything to do the job when I start. Thanks again for the replies.:cool:

Dyna Gear

Stay away from that Dyna gear timing set. I put one on my car when i did a car change and it was a real tight fit. I ended up taking the cam back out after 2000 miles, it made alot of noise! That Dyna gear timing set chain had all kinds of slack in it. The chain had really stretched. Chain was made in India. Get a good quality Roll Master or even a Cloyes. That Dyna Gear and Lunati cam was some junk the GSCA sold me, never again. :mad:

Ps. I run a good Roll Master timing set with a good billet roller cam.

Dynagear #78128 has a different type of cam gear. Its for the early style camshaft that used a keyway instead of a flange to bolt the gear to.

I have a DynaGear from Advanced Auto Parts on my T-type, didnt use the tensioner. I have 11,000 miles on it, seems fine to me???????????:confused:

If the back side of the chain isn't smooth like the stock chain, then definitely don't run the tensioner because the chain will saw through it. If the back side is smooth it's up to you. ATR's instructions with their chain insists that you use the tensioner, for what that's worth, so I will when the set goes in.

granitestategn,
No I haven't installed it yet, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but Cotton told me not to use the tensioner so I wasn't gonna use it. Got the set from him.

turbofish38....so does that mean I am outta luck? Hopefully the damn thing will fit, I'll let ya know if I run into problems.

Steve

Well I might be wrong. Does your cam gear have the slot for a keyway? I dont know about the Dynagear set but on OEM GM sets the chain is the same no matter what cam gear you use so at least you know you can use the chain and crank gear.