duttweiler neck

supercoupe5

i have seen duttweiler neck on here quite a few timesbut have no idea what this refering to. could someone tell me what this is and maybe post a pic of this so i can stop feeling real stupid. thanks dave

It is a 2.5" cast aluminum elbow that you weld to a stock intercooler inlet, after you cut the stock 2" one off. Personally I have not found any gain in just grinding the inlet out to as large as you can. Some folks say it's better, but even Duttweiler said that the gain came form re-positioning the compressor housing to line up with the new intercooler inlet which made the wastegate arm tighter, resulting in 2 psi more boost. If some one else has gained from the modification, then please chime in.:smile: By looking at the size difference it "should" flow more, but has there been any back to back tests, with out adjusting the compressor housing, which alters the boost setting???:confused:

Nothing to feel stupid about.
Nobody on this site was born knowing about turbo Buicks

The stock IC's 90 degree elbow gets cut and replaced by a larger 90 degree elbow.

:) Just changing to the larger neck I saw a 2psi increase in boost, seat
of the pants dyno says it works. :cool:

It better work, I'm changing to one next week. :D

BTW, anyone know if the design flaw has been worked out, or do I have to "widen" my I/C tube.

Big Neck Installation

WeldedIC.jpg

MissMatch.jpg

Welded1.jpg

I gained about 1.5 psi--but had to give most of it back to prevent detonation anyhow. I think the big advantage is to better prepare you for more boost capability when adding alcohol injection/ cooling (...coming for me this year...)

I can make no performance comments/ claims as I had no performance data prior to Dutt Neck install,,,

By the time you pay someone to cut/weld the new neck on, you're over half way to a stock location I/C that will out perform the dutt neck deal HANDS DOWN. They are capable of 9 second runs and still look virtually stock.

By the time you pay someone to cut/weld the new neck on, you're over half way to a stock location I/C that will out perform the dutt neck deal HANDS DOWN. They are capable of 9 second runs and still look virtually stock.

That's true but for the same money you can have the Duttweiler neck & an Alky kit! I feel that on cars in the low 11's & slower that is all the intercooler needed with Alky & will FAR outperform a stock location intercooler.

That's true but for the same money you can have the Duttweiler neck & an Alky kit! I feel that on cars in the low 11's & slower that is all the intercooler needed with Alky & will FAR outperform a stock location intercooler.

Touche' Good point. For mid 11 second or slower cars, but a good intercooler and alky will work even better in the long run, because we all know how long people are satisfied with "just a mid eleven second car":smile:

I bought a pretty clean Dutt neck IC for my TTA. I got it for $175 shipped. I thought that was easier than buying a neck and getting the work done. The car definitely spooled up faster. For $175 is was a good mod.

Ok what about for my Frankenstein
I am thinking of using the stock IC as a front mount.
And yes the small EL will be cut and modded.
Due you guys think it will work better then the stock with dutt-neck in the stock location?

It can't help but work better. It will be getting cool clean outside air, not the hotter air after it comes past the radiator.

You might be better off selling the stock intercooler & buying 1 of the many intercooler cores on e-bay. There are some nice universal units on there for not a lot of cash & i'm sure flow better than the GN intercooler. If your going through all the work & fabrication of pipes it might as well be for a good intercooler.

Ok what about for my Frankenstein
I am thinking of using the stock IC as a front mount.
And yes the small EL will be cut and modded.
Due you guys think it will work better then the stock with dutt-neck in the stock location?

That's EXACATLY what I did....'cept times 2. But, I only did it to keep with my twin turbo theme, and not to make the best power, although it DOES make over 575 HP.:p It WAS fun to make work and fit the car. Both intercoolers are welded together and have a common plenum in the middle. Each core is fed by a different turbo. (twin turbos) Then meet in the middle. I used dual 2 1/2" stainless tubing because I was running twin throttle bodies (It was cheaper than running a single 70mm and it kept the "twin" theme) but you could use a single 3" if you wanted to. Feeding the I/C's with a split pipe might not be the best way, but it could be done for a single turbo car. Have fun, and do what ever "floats your boat". Some people don't like my set-up, but so far it has run a 125mph pass with a LAME tune-up, all from parts that were laying around in my shop that most people threw away 15 years ago.:D

Attachments

• HPIM0302.JPG
    HPIM0302.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 582
  • Copy of bot. view IC.JPG
    Copy of bot. view IC.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Copy of dr.intercooler.JPG
    Copy of dr.intercooler.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 600
I bought my IC off ebay with the dutt neck already on there, for 175 or so. But the IC was a disaster. Alot of bent fins...ALOT. 100 generations of bees jammed in the fins, most of the screw holes were stripped, the paint was gone, inside filled with oil...I spent alot of time making it like new, and it worked out well. But I saw an additional 2psi ontop of the dutt neck by bellmouthing the Dutt neck inlet and outlet, sawing the rolled lips off the up-pipe and deburring (huge flow disruption on the rolled lip before the TB), bellmouthed the already large 62mm TB (which I didnt know at the time was 62mm), added a buickgn.com 3.5" intake tube (an ugly piece, and expensive for 15 bucks worth of hardware, but works). So in the end I gained 4psi by eliminating all the sharp edges and flow disruptions. I dropped 2psi when I ported my intake and got rid of that POS factory sheetmetal type intake manifold. This says I gained alot more flow by reducing the flow restriction (which is all a boost reading is)...plus the car was shredding the tires like never before, just rolling into half throttle in 2nd gear, which it had never done before. Point is, if you sweat the details, and "blueprint" so to speak, you can gain a decent amount of flow and power for cheap, if you just worry about the little stuff.