Dump valve 2004r

TIMINATOR

Any of the tran gurus make a convertor dump valve for our 200r4s?
I'm only aware of them for 'glides and 400s.
TIMINATOR

I don't think so, but with the current selection of convertors, I don't know how useful one would be. I am speculating, but I don't know that a 2004R could handle the kind of power and large turbos that would make one useful.

I
I don't think so, but with the current selection of convertors, I don't know how useful one would be. I am speculating, but I don't know that a 2004R could handle the kind of power and large turbos that would make one useful.

Not for that kind of deal. But for my mountain car. Everyone says I need a 3500 stall for my +.020", stock stroke, 9.0/1 comp, ported irons, ported intake, 65 tb and big dog house, big slic, dual 3" exhaust, 3" dp, T/A race headers, 60 lb inj, 320 pump, adjustable regulator, comp 212 .537" roller (1.65 rockers), port plate, tt chip, 62/62 jb turbo, suspension mods, 3.50 geared 9", (because I bought it with a 7 1/2" posi with 2 something gears!), and good tires. I have a 25-2700 stall to go in the fresh, built, 200 r4 trans to put in the car when I install the motor later this month.
No dragstrips here anymore, and I will never install a roll bar!
I talked it over with my old friends at Hughes (local to me), and they figured I might get to 3000 or so stall with a dump, for the occasional street romp.
My other idea is to put a 50-75 hp squeeze kit on it for the launch, with a hobbs switch to shut it off at about 3000 rpm.
The long tube race headers, big exhaust, and high lift/short duration roller cam idea was to make decent torque and mid range before the turbo spooled.
I did not like the last GN I drove with a 3300 unknown brand stall, too loose for my idea of an everyday driver.
Ideas?
TIMINATOR

Honestly, I think trying to use a "stall" number does not work. I have a 16 blade PTC NLU spec'ed by Bison for my build. You could get one built by PTC to do what you want.
It drives "super" tight on the street, I don't miss the lockup. Cruises a couple hundred rpm higher than a locked up stocker.
PTC has the formula for low rpm turbo motors.
At the strip on the foot break, the car has come up to 4400 rpm, might even go higher, but I have not been back to the track in a while since I don't have a roll bar. As soon as I let off the brake, it flashes to 4700ish, then shifts at 5100 rpm (stock governor), drops 4700 to 4800 on the shift. Traps 120 @ 5400 rpm on 255/60-15s. If I turn the boost down, it tightens up. It just works well. It is a little more of a challenge to 60ft, but it really keeps the rpms where I want it. That is for an 11 flat run with the stuff in my sig.
As I said, drives fantastic on the street. Instant spool when I hit the gas, but not loose. If you get something that the stall is achieved by building it the wrong way, it will be a slushy sloppy POS trying to bang the rev limiter on every WOT shift. Some people like that though.

The valve is used to reduce the amount of fluid in the convertor. It raises the stall speed of the converter by changing the mass flow rate, hence the power transmission between the pump and the turbine.

THANKS NIGEL!
I have had my fill of sloppy convertors. It sounds like what you have is what I need!
Wben I am assembling the engine, i will call him!
TIMINATOR

The dump valve lowers the pressure, and amount of the fluid in the torque convertor at the launch,(dumps some of the pressurized fluid going into the torque convertor, allowing a quicker spool and launch) then, when down track it allows full pressure and flow into the torque convertor for better lockup on top ( upper rpm end) for more MPH.
Think: paddling a boat with less oar in the water.
Less fluid allows the engine to make more power at a higher launch rpm, and in our case, spool up the turbo quicker.
More fluid allows a tighter coupling to the trans, resulting in a higher trap speed, or in my case, better gas mileage, and lower cruise rpm, assuming that I would need to partake in an illegal street race.....
I never would, or have of course.....
TIMINATOR

You guys are pissing in the wind
The dump valve is around 150rpm worth of stall.
They are used with high line pressures on certain kind of combos to stop the pressure from trying to push the crank out of the motor,this valve basically bypasses to the case so line pressure cannot exceed a certain psi.

Not for that kind of deal. But for my mountain car. Everyone says I need a 3500 stall for my +.020", stock stroke, 9.0/1 comp, ported irons, ported intake, 65 tb and big dog house, big slic, dual 3" exhaust, 3" dp, T/A race headers, 60 lb inj, 320 pump, adjustable regulator, comp 212 .537" roller (1.65 rockers), port plate, tt chip, 62/62 jb turbo, suspension mods, 3.50 geared 9", (because I bought it with a 7 1/2" posi with 2 something gears!), and good tires. I have a 25-2700 stall to go in the fresh, built, 200 r4 trans to put in the car when I install the motor later this month.
No dragstrips here anymore, and I will never install a roll bar!
I talked it over with my old friends at Hughes (local to me), and they figured I might get to 3000 or so stall with a dump, for the occasional street romp.
My other idea is to put a 50-75 hp squeeze kit on it for the launch, with a hobbs switch to shut it off at about 3000 rpm.
The long tube race headers, big exhaust, and high lift/short duration roller cam idea was to make decent torque and mid range before the turbo spooled.
I did not like the last GN I drove with a 3300 unknown brand stall, too loose for my idea of an everyday driver.
Ideas?
TIMINATOR
You need a 3200 stall ptc
9.5 nl
17/18 blade would be the safe bet.
Loose down low tight up top.
The I have had them within 50rpm of the lockup it replaced😉

Good info to know! I THOUGHT that my contact had better info. Thats why I asked on here. He told me the valve would get me 500- 600 stall. Good thing I didnt put my eggs in that basket!
I shoulda just called you. I didnt wanna bother you. My bad. THANKS!
I'm an engine guy, not a trans guy.
TIMINATOR

Good info to know! I THOUGHT that my contact had better info. Thats why I asked on here. He told me the valve would get me 500- 600 stall. Good thing I didnt put my eggs in that basket!
I shoulda just called you. I didnt wanna bother you. My bad. THANKS!
I'm an engine guy, not a trans guy.
TIMINATOR
Your never a bother my friend😉

You guys are pissing in the wind
The dump valve is around 150rpm worth of stall.
They are used with high line pressures on certain kind of combos to stop the pressure from trying to push the crank out of the motor,this valve basically bypasses to the case so line pressure cannot exceed a certain psi.
Your comment displays extreme arrogance and is extremely condescending.
You are waaay out of line telling me I am pissing in the wind.

As usual, I didn't mean to start a "feces storm", it just kinda happens that way sometimes.
Ya know, I have talked to several convertor builders that I have known, and raced with for 40 years, and have gotten different answers from EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Convertor tech has changed a bunch since I have had my last 2 GNs.
In 86-7, with my first GN, nobody had a turbo specific convertor, so I just got with Hughes (local friends), and discussed it to death. We all had a few ideas, so they cut apart 3 or 4 convertors for me, and keeping good notes, I tried different things, took pics, notes, and they welded them up for me. I tried them all, they cut the best ones apart, and we went further. Since I have a complete engine, and general machineshop, plus a lift, and a then new performance timer, I got enough data for us to work with. They sold that combo as their GN convertor for years.
Then, my roots blown, street and race car and boat period took over for 30 years. Now, I'm back here with another GN, and ignorant all over again.
I THINK that I have a decent engine, driveline, suspension, and exhaust system now. Time will tell.....
On unknown combos, I always start out with a tighter convertor to see what I have with the power band, then I can give good info to the convertor guy. Thats where I am now, assembling stuff.
I just thought I would bounce the dump valve idea off of the brains on here and see what they thought.
Thank you all for your info so far, I'll have more info and questions later.
Meanwhile, I will help others with what I know, and absorb what I don't.
TIMINATOR

Your comment displays extreme arrogance and is extremely condescending.
You are waaay out of line telling me I am pissing in the wind.
Arrogance is not experience
unfortunately experience can be taken as condescending over the internet and even in person sometimes.
I dont need to explain myself to you or anybody else.
My comments aren't what you say they are you seems to be very sensitive for some reason
You yourself said you were speculating the effect of dumps.
I dont speculate seen a few them and I was trying to throw the info out there to help others.
Hate seeing guys chase their tail but if you feel you know everything then continue on.

Arrogance is not experience
unfortunately experience can be taken as condescending over the internet and even in person sometimes.
I dont need to explain myself to you or anybody else.
My comments aren't what you say they are you seems to be very sensitive for some reason
You yourself said you were speculating the effect of dumps.
I dont speculate seen a few them and I was trying to throw the info out there to help others.
Hate seeing guys chase their tail but if you feel you know everything then continue on.
If I was sensitive, my reply would look like this ^^^^^
Telling somebody they are pissing in the wind is out of line and has nothing to do with an opinion, I am calling it out for what it is. It is that kind of crap and lack of decorum that stifles the board and good discussion. Many do not participate for that very reason.
Let's see if you can apologize for an out of line offensive statement, or just walk away. The technical merit is something totally different.

As usual, I didn't mean to start a "feces storm", it just kinda happens that way sometimes.
Ya know, I have talked to several convertor builders that I have known, and raced with for 40 years, and have gotten different answers from EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Convertor tech has changed a bunch since I have had my last 2 GNs.
In 86-7, with my first GN, nobody had a turbo specific convertor, so I just got with Hughes (local friends), and discussed it to death. We all had a few ideas, so they cut apart 3 or 4 convertors for me, and keeping good notes, I tried different things, took pics, notes, and they welded them up for me. I tried them all, they cut the best ones apart, and we went further. Since I have a complete engine, and general machineshop, plus a lift, and a then new performance timer, I got enough data for us to work with. They sold that combo as their GN convertor for years.
Then, my roots blown, street and race car and boat period took over for 30 years. Now, I'm back here with another GN, and ignorant all over again.
I THINK that I have a decent engine, driveline, suspension, and exhaust system now. Time will tell.....
On unknown combos, I always start out with a tighter convertor to see what I have with the power band, then I can give good info to the convertor guy. Thats where I am now, assembling stuff.
I just thought I would bounce the dump valve idea off of the brains on here and see what they thought.
Thank you all for your info so far, I'll have more info and questions later.
Meanwhile, I will help others with what I know, and absorb what I don't.
TIMINATOR
No problem, you did not start anything.