Dual fan install

poobut

Anybody here installed dual fans on their hot air. I have an 84 and want to install a dual fans I got from the junk yard. How do I do this? Thanks.

I am in in a good mood so I will give you the first step in order to install dual electric fans. Convert to the 87 ecm, new TTchip for your mods, MAT sensor from Caspers. Then you will need an 87 MAF. Once these parts are up and running the fun part starts. Get an 160 degree thermo and a modine 951 radiator. You will need an 87 V8 Cutlass radiator hold down plate in order the keep the modine(An f-body radiator) in place. The fans are duel ramchargers from GBODYPARTS. You will also need the Caspers converison kit to install the relay -84/85 to the 86/87. There also is a conversion adapter you will need from GBODYPARTS which adapts the Caspers wiring setup to the dual ramchargers. I might have left something out so everyone chime in. Brad

you could do it his way, but that seems a bit complicated and expensive.
get a universal fan wiring kit from Summit or jegs that comes with a temp switch that goes in the block. wire it up following the instructions, and you are good to go.
or do it like i did on my 72 Monte- i took a complete electric fan harness with relay out of an 85 Celelbrity with a 4 cylinder (it's all self contained, and even has a fusible link) got a temp switch at NAPA for $17 that turns the fan on at 215/ off at 205 (but colder switches are available), and wired it up like stock.

Good point Novaderrick- The only advantage my setup is the Caspers relay which protects the fans from direct voltage. Mine are run from the Ecm not an add on thermostat. Good idea for alot less money. Take-care- Brad

i think going the caspers route is the best way. have been running my dual fans for sometime now with great sucess.

Good point Novaderrick- The only advantage my setup is the Caspers relay which protects the fans from direct voltage. Mine are run from the Ecm not an add on thermostat. Good idea for alot less money. Take-care- Brad
my way has a relay- i wouldn't do it any other way. and neither did GM.
the temp switch just grounds out the relay, which turns on the fan.
what i haven't figured out yet is how to get the fan come on with the AC (once i get it hooked up) while still keeping the switch on the ground wire of the relay.
maybe yet another relay that switches the ground circuit for the fan using the + signal that tells the AC clutch to engage.
or is there such a thing as a 2 way relay that can use a + signal from the AC clutch or the - signal from the temp switch grounding out to turn on the fan?
otherwis,e i'll need to dig thru the NAPA temp switch catalog to find a 2 terminal temp switch to switch the + wire to activate the relay.

I thought I'd post up an option for the dual fan setup. A fellow MAGNA club member of ours, "timevacuum", found a single high volume fan from a Ford OEM application that works real nice on his hotair. I've seen the car in person and the fitment looks so nice most people would think it came from the factory like that.

Pictures here:
TurboBuicks.com - View Single Post - Who's been wrenching?

Email or PM timevacuum for more info.

-Banning.

J Banning- Great post and pics. Does this fan use relays?

The reason for my post is that the dual ramcharger fans that I have using the Caspers 84/85 to the 86/87 modification uses a single relay. This setup cannot handle the dual ramchargers- blown relay-two times. I had to add the Caspers 86/87 dual fan wire harness on top of the 84/85 electric fan conversion. There was only one slight mod to this harness. All is good now.

What we really need to know can this Ford fan work with the Caspers 84/85 electric fan single relay option? If so, it could save all of us some money by avoiding the cost of the 86/87 dual relay conversion kit. Let us know. Take care- Brad

J Banning- Great response as well as PICS. I really like the look of this setup.

Question- Does this work with the Caspers 84/85 electric fan conversion?

The reason for my question is that the Caspers 84/85 single relay cannot handle the dual ramchargers voltage. I blew 2 relays. I had to add the 86/87 Caspers dual relay kit on top of the 84/85 single fan conversion kit in order to make things good.

The only question is can this fan work with the Caspers 84/85 single relay kit? The 84/85 Caspers kit enables the fan to be controlled by the ECM. THis could save our members the added cost of the 86/87 Caspers dual fan conversion kit. Take care- Brad

Hi Brad,

The fan is from a Lincoln Mark VIII; (93-96). It pulls ~2300 CFM on low and ~4500 CFM on high. The articles that I read describe this fan as the 'Ford 9" rear of the fan world'. Guys are using on all types of street rods, etc. It really does fit nice and neat, and it cools well, even with the stock 3-core brass/copper radiator. I made my own custom relay harness using Bueller 40/60 Amp relays and PED (GM) relay sockets. I have the ECM control low speed, and use the A/C request signal to command high speed. The alternator upgrade is decribed in an on old post on this board.

Let me know if you want some links and I'll dig them up.

Bill