DSE Steering Shaft

83hurstguy

Been through two Jeep steering shafts, first one developed a bad u-joint just after install, the second one had the plastic removed and now has slop between the two halves of the telescoping shaft. I'm getting sick of junkyard parts, so I'm investigating my other options.

Anybody have any experience with the DSE Shaft? I did a quick search here and didn't find anything... PM'd the resident DSE expert a couple days ago with no response, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

http://detroitspeed.com/1978-1988 G-Body-Products/092519-g-body-steering-shaft-kit.html

I had to do a little grinding on the column side to clear the pinch bolt of the Jeep shaft, so I'm hoping that won't mess up the installation of the DSE shaft. Is this thing carbon steel and need to be painted?

I must be the resident DSE expert? LOL ( I used the Jeep shaft at first then went to the DSE Steering Shaft later and also wrote the instructions for DSE) You will have to excuse me, things have been rough around here lately with my wife's news but If you PM me your number I will return your call as soon as possible with answers to your questions if I have them.....

Last edited:
I am looking at that DSE shaft, too. I will be calling Scot when Uncle Sam shows me the $$.
I do know it is made for the 600 series fast ratio replacement steering boxes (3/4" x 30 spline).
I would think they could get the correct end for the stock 800 series box.

I am looking at that DSE shaft, too. I will be calling Scot when Uncle Sam shows me the $$.
I do know it is made for the 600 series fast ratio replacement steering boxes (3/4" x 30 spline).
I would think they could get the correct end for the stock 800 series box.

That's a good insight, didn't think about that... I have a Lee 800 series box. What size/spline is that coupling?

Ya I tried the used jeep shaft and it totally sucked. Much sloppier steering. Could hardly drive the car straight. GNNW guys laughed at me when they that piece of crap on my car. Really bruised my ego LOL.

Went with a universal Borgeson unit and am very please. What a fine piece of engineering and manufacturing!

Ya I tried the used jeep shaft and it totally sucked. Much sloppier steering. Could hardly drive the car straight. GNNW guys laughed at me when they that piece of crap on my car. Really bruised my ego LOL.

Went with a universal Borgeson unit and am very please. What a fine piece of engineering and manufacturing!

Borgeson stuff looks nice and is my backup plan at this point... do you know what part numbers you used? Thanks for the input.

I apologize for not being on top of things lately due to my wife's surgery and all but I am now back due to her feeling much better. I spoke to DSE today and was told the DSE steering shaft is a direct replacement for all 1978-88 G-body cars and was told it will fit our cars! They are in stock and can ship right away... I have one coming for my car and as soon as the car is back up and running I will be able to give you some feedback on how well it installs and works..

SW.

Okay I received the DSE steering shaft the other day and I have to say, This thing is Beefy! It blows away the size of the jeep steering shaft by far in appearance and strength...

Here are a few things we will have to do for this to fit:

1) The metal nipple/pin that sticks out of the splined shaft on the steering box will have to be removed! Simply cut it off using a dremel tool... DO NOT try to pound out the pin that holds this steel nipple or you will Ruin the shaft!! Not even sure Why this nipple is there in the first place seeing as the stock shaft was hollow?
DSE steering shaft 001.jpg

2) The double D shaft coming out of the fire wall will need to be cleaned Very well and even sanded a bit for the new steel u-joint coupler to fit.... I think the clearance of those are just too tight which makes for a very hard fit... we are doing some more measurements just to make sure it's the right one for our cars....

More up dates and pictures to come!

I had issues with my Jeep shaft doing the same thing, where it didn't want to fit at first, so I had to sand the column side down a bit (as I didn't want to hammer the crap out of it to get it on). I think the pinch bolt from the stock intermediate shaft tends to distort the column shaft, which then makes a true "double D" shape with tight tolerances a real pain to fit. Somebody (me) probably overtightened the stock intermediate shaft at one point.

I had issues with my Jeep shaft doing the same thing, where it didn't want to fit at first, so I had to sand the column side down a bit (as I didn't want to hammer the crap out of it to get it on). I think the pinch bolt from the stock intermediate shaft tends to distort the column shaft, which then makes a true "double D" shape with tight tolerances a real pain to fit. Somebody (me) probably overtightened the stock intermediate shaft at one point.
You are 100% correct when you say that the stock pinch bolt distorts the Stock hollow double d shaft coming out of the fire wall...
The DSE steering shaft is now installed on my car and here is the exact process and what needed to be done so it would fit...

1) I took my Dremmel tool with a 1" dia. cut off wheel and cut that metal pin/nipple off the end of the splined shaft on the steering box...

2) I assembled the "Splined" steering shaft end to the DSE shaft and tightened doth bolts & jam nuts. I waited on the u-joint half until I was done with the fitment process mentioned in (#3 below).

3) To begin the fitment of the steel u-joint to the stock steering shaft I took the Dremmel tool again but this time used a small round sanding dowel and only sanded the inside dia. of the "Rounded" part of the steel u-joint until it fit snug on the steering shaft....

4) Then I assembled the u-joint to the shaft by installing the shaft just so it fits flush with the inside section of the u-joint making sure the joints Do Not Touch each other during movement. Then tighten down the (Small) bolt first, then snug the Long bolt only so it makes a mark on the shaft... Now you need to remove the u-joint from the shaft and drill a 5/16" hole on the side with the mark Only! Do Not drill through BOTH sides of the shaft!! Then once that is done go ahead and assemble the u-joint back onto the shaft and tighten all the bolts and jam nuts....

5) Then I slid the splined section onto the splined shaft on the steering box and tightened the one bolt & jam nut, Then I used a small hammer to tap the upper steel u-joint in place onto the stock steering shaft. Make sure you don't go too far because the LONG bolt has to be able to go through the exsisting hole that the stock bolt used, then tighten down the long bolt & jam nut, and do the same with the small one and your done!

Overall the install went very smooth but some finesse will be required to get the double D steel u-joint to fit the shaft, other than that it is very well built and VERY strong compared to Anything you can get OEM..

SW.

Thanks for the details. Sounds good! Two questions...

1. Does the steering wheel/box alignment stay the same? Just had mine aligned, so I'd prefer not to have to re-center the wheel.

2. Is it raw steel? Does it need to be coated/painted?

Shoot me a price when you get a chance, my ZIP is now 66207.

Thanks for the details. Sounds good! Two questions...

1. Does the steering wheel/box alignment stay the same? Just had mine aligned, so I'd prefer not to have to re-center the wheel.

2. Is it raw steel? Does it need to be coated/painted?

Shoot me a price when you get a chance, my ZIP is now 66207.

Answers:

1) It should stay the same! Should not have to be re-aligned....

2) Yes it's raw steel and needs to be coated with something or it will rust.. I just sprayed mine with a clear!

PM sent for your total price with shipping.

Scot,
Will you have any for sale at the T-B Nats.?
I doubt it, they have to make more as they are now down to only one on their shelves after they sent me mine... Plus with them having to ship them to me there don't leave much room for discounts to you guy's.... Better off getting them off our web site for right now....

SW.