DRTURBO69 - Negative

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I bought the crankshaft he had for sale in this thread.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stage-2-parts.357053/#post-2852167

Our inital communication was primarily via phone conversations. He told me that the crank was in good condition, had std./std. journals and he had it checked and it had no cracks. I met him in person near his house to pick it up and from looking at the crank I had no reason to doubt him. The crank appeared to be in good shape.

The purchase happened in September of last year. I put a set of calipers on the crank after I got home and the journals measured about .005" small and would have had .007-.008" clearance with std bearings. I was gong to have to turn it to make it useable. I just chalked that up to bad luck and moved on. I finally dropped the crank off at the machine shop in November. The machine shop didn't do anything with it until may of this year. They magged it again just to be sure it was good before ordering pistons and and found a large crack (~1.5" long) in the #5 rod journal.

On May 18th I sent him a PM telling him about the problem. His responded on the 19th asking me to send him a phone number. I replied back and he hasn't logged back in since. On may 27th I called him and he answered. We had a friendly conversation and he said he was going to be a stand up guy and offer me another crank he has. He wanted to have it checked and told me to give him a couple days. I gave him three weeks. I called and left a phone message on the June 16th and a gain on the23rd. No response. If he hasn't had a chance to get the crank checked at least he could return my call.

I understand that there has been a lot of time that has passed since money and parts originally traded hands. I never expected a full refund. I don't think he knowingly sold me a bad crank because it looked good when I bought it. But the facts are I payed top dollar for a crank and I have nothing but a paper weight. I've tried to be patient, but not responding to my PM's, phone calls or messages is running my patience thin.

Bump, still no response from drturbo69. I have this lovely $900 paperweight of a crank to remind me everytime I go into my shop.

He mentioned the one time we talked that he was selling everything and switching to LS motors. So be weary of stage v6 parts being sold from Greenville, SC. He still hasn't logged back in here so hopefully he won't be selling any more parts here.

most all his posts were in the wanted section . all they said were pm sent. time and time and time again. no real contribution to the board. so i would probably guess he probably just pm people from now on.

Who on this board will guarantee a part sold for eight months ? Maybe the shop dropped it or switched it, maybe the crack was there the whole time..Either way, you let too much time pass to expect anything..JMHO

It's been six months since I bought a part from someone and he agreed to take it back. Sometimes it takes a while to use a part you purchase for various reasons. I like to try and buy parts in the cold months so I have them ready to rock when it gets warm. If the shop dropped it that could have happened one day after he received it. And why would you offer to send another if you had no intentions of doing that?

Who on this board will guarantee a part sold for eight months ? Maybe the shop dropped it or switched it, maybe the crack was there the whole time..Either way, you let too much time pass to expect anything..JMHO

Maybe so, but what is a reasonable time frame? I was told before I bought the crank that it had been checked and there were no cracks. He probably didn't know about the crack, but that doesn't change the fact that it's cracked. If you don't know what the speed limit is and you get caught speeding, you still get a ticket. There probably aren't many guys here that have there own magnaflux equipment at home so we are all at the mercy of the machine shop's time frame for stuff like this.

I never expected a full refund becuase I understand the time issue. The seller offered me another crank and I offered to pay shipping to send the broke crank back to him and the replacement to me. He has since stopped responding. If he felt that it had been too long, the least he could have done was to tell me that. Instead, he ignores calls, messages, emails and has stopped logging in here since then. I would settle for just about anything at this point, but I can't even talk to the guy. I've been a cool as anyone can be with him. I haven't tried to get revenge on him, I haven't put his email, phone number or address out there. The most I can hope for at this point is that other people don't blindly trust drturbo69's word on parts like this in the future. This isn't the first complaint about him selling parts that are not as described, but that happened after I bought the crank. If something like this had been posted before I bought it, I probably wouldn't be in this situation.

If the shop dropped it and that was enough to crack a 4340 forging, it was already junk. A drop hard enough to crack it would have left a pretty good mark. The shop is run by some friends and I can guarantee this was the only v6 crank in the place and even more so the only BMS 3.59 stroke crank that was engraved like this one, not much possiblity of it being switched. The one time I was able to talk to him about this, he acknowledged that there was no way I could have caused this since I bought it from him.

GDNF2ET said:

Sorry but you are sooo wrong. Motors are not built in a week, month, or sometimes even a year. If your selling Stage parts, your aware of this. Mike said he didn't expect a full refund, but was promised a different crank. Point is, the guy was aware of the situation and said he would make it good, or at least better. Mikes car is a top dollar car, not junk. Fact that the guy hasn't been around says a lot. It would be different if the guy was still logging in and contributing, but he's not. He's decided to go underground...with the rest of the snakes. I sell high dollar engine items for 409 Chevys and Max Wedge Mopars all the time. It doesn't leave my garage without confirmation of being tested for cracks. Heads, blocks, cranks. I'm covered that way. I have refunded $$$ to guys after a year for this same reason. That's why I now have every item checked.

I think the best way of dealing with stuff like this is like buying a Rolex.

You both go to a jeweler and confirm its authenticity. In this case it has to pass the tests. When I sell a crank, the buyer pays for the mag. If the crank has an issue, I pay for the mag. Both are win win scenario's.

8 months.. long time.. that money's gone. Sucks to take a hit.. really :mad:

Beware. After a year and a half of avoiding this place, drturbo69 (Frank Baber)has decided to start selling parts via PM again.

I bought a 3.590 crank in nov of 2010 from him. He swore the crank was in excellent shape. I received a piece of junk from him that I paid $900 for. After I received it, I contacted him and he said he would send me a different crank or refund my money if there is a problem. He no longer would answer my calls or emails. I used paypal and received my money back and then I heard a lot from him, the cursing of what kind of person would do this and he wished me the worst to be nice on here. I still may have the recording I made somewhere. This is the crank I purchased.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stage-2-parts.331109/

3.590 junk.JPG

I bought a 3.590 crank in nov of 2010 from him. He swore the crank was in excellent shape. I received a piece of junk from him that I paid $900 for. After I received it, I contacted him and he said he would send me a different crank or refund my money if there is a problem. He no longer would answer my calls or emails. I used paypal and received my money back and then I heard a lot from him, the cursing of what kind of person would do this and he wished me the worst to be nice on here. I still may have the recording I made somewhere. This is the crank I purchased.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stage-2-parts.331109/

View attachment 198620

WOW from looking at the pics of the crank you and Mike posted, i can only assume you returned the crank and he knowingly sold Mike a crank that he knew was bad what a piece of shit

It looks like the same one he sold me. So, he knew it was junk but sold it to me anyways. What a guy.

I hate to hear things like this. Once they got your cash it's very difficult to get your money back or satisfaction if the seller has no morals.

This is why I use paypal as much as I can. It's saved me a few times!

PayPal is a scam too. My friend got robbed of $500 on a deposit because the guy never showed.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Paypal can screw you six ways to Sunday as well. I had a close friend order a $200 Vintage BMX gooseneck from ebay. Payed with paypal, and received a box the right size and approximate weight, signed for it, and then went in the house. Opened up the box and found a brick. Paypal did nothing for him. Paid $200 for a brick.

I sold an iPhone, and specified no international shipping no returns. The guy bought it and had a third party shipper ship if from FL to Hong Kong. He started a claim saying it would not power on. About 3 weeks later, and me fighting like hell with PP and Feebay, he ended up shipping it back. I lost the shipping cost and received the same phone, but worked perfectly. I videoed me opening the box and turning on a perfectly good phone and sent it to Fleabay and PP. No response. So much for no returns on working items. At least I got my item back.

Haven't sold on ebay since.