Dropping the Tank - What is required?

jawort0

I need to drop the tank on my 87 Turbo Limited since I think the Walbro 340 is sick and needs to be replaced since it is not holding fuel pressure in the rail and the car is sputtering at WOT. I have pinched off the drain line with no effect on the fuel pressure drop.

Can someone please give me any tips with dropping the tank? Any model specific tips to ensure I do not bend any fuel lines or ensure I do not pull pr short any wires?

Thanks, Joe

It's not that hard to do I've had to do it a couple times. Empty the the tank it'll be easier then if full. First I jacked up the rear end to get under neath and unplug thesending unit and hotwire kit. I then put a plank of wood on a jack and raised the jack on the tank. Then you can unbolt it. slowly lower the tank with the jack and about halfway down unhook your lines and lower it the rest of the way. While your lowering the tank you'll have to roll it towards the front of the car so the gas cap andfill tube can come out.

I need to drop the tank on my 87 Turbo Limited since I think the Walbro 340 is sick and needs to be replaced since it is not holding fuel pressure in the rail and the car is sputtering at WOT. I have pinched off the drain line with no effect on the fuel pressure drop.

Can someone please give me any tips with dropping the tank? Any model specific tips to ensure I do not bend any fuel lines or ensure I do not pull pr short any wires?

Thanks, Joe

It's been close to 20 yrs since i had my tank down but i did put a new pump in the wife's yukon a couple months back.TR's tank is a peace cake compared to the yukons.You want to get as much gas out as you can.Pump it out if the pump still runs.Put a small hose on the pressure gauge conection.You can't syphon from the filler neck.Wires are on drivers side rear of tank.Loosen tank, lower part way.Support tank with something while you disconnect hoses on top of tank.Locking ring holds pump assemble in tank.You might have to tap on the ring to get it to turn.Be careful not to cause sparks.Should be a o ring seal under the pump assemble.Be careful pulling assemble from tank as the fuel gauge float is part of the unit.Good luck.

Do all of the above and the nut on the engine side of the tank under the back seat is a 5/8 inch socket. I just dropped mine today and installed my new Walbro pump... it was easy.

Thanks, Joe
before you start dropping tank make sure you test wot run with fuel pressure. if your fuel pressure is dropping at wot or not going up 1 to 1 ratio with boost then its bad if not then it good. also turn key forward and shut off and clamp the return line if pressure holds then your injectors are good if pressure drops then clamp both feed and return line and if the pressure holds then your check valve in pump is bad if it leaks then your injectors are leaking. your fuel rail pressure in the rail will drop after an hour or so that is normal

a (5 gallon or whatever the usual size is) bucket works great when dropping it.
leaves perfect space to do all required in fuel pump replacement.

there's a writeup with pics on the other board.

Need some parts

Where can I get the three rubber hoses that connect the tank to the hard fuel lines? These appear to be molded hoses. Has anyone replaced these with standard fuel hose? If so, what size do I need? I see some signs that one of these hoses might have been leaking slightly so I want to replace while the tank is down.

Also, is the sending unit that gbodyparts.com sells work for a digital gauge cluster? If not, does anyone know where I can get a new sending unit? Mine reads "--" when the tank is partially full.

Thanks, Joe

I broke a part of the hard line under the driver's door and patched in some high pressure fuel injector hose. I bought the hose at Carquest if you need some new hose. Also, you might want to replace the silver straps and rubber isolators that hold the tank in. Kirban sells it.You could also paint/rustproof the tank while it is out, too.

After doing this proceedure several times i decided to cut a access door and put a access panel in the floor board of the trunk right over the pump area-this way all i have to do is open the trunk and with just a screwdriver or a coin turn the screw 1/4 turn and voilla i haccess to my pump without all the dangers of dealing with the fueltank.ps its a good idea to have a fire extiquisher handy just in case.

After doing this proceedure several times i decided to cut a access door and put a access panel in the floor board of the trunk right over the pump area-this way all i have to do is open the trunk and with just a screwdriver or a coin turn the screw 1/4 turn and voilla i haccess to my pump without all the dangers of dealing with the fueltank.ps its a good idea to have a fire extiquisher handy just in case.

Now that is cool!:D