Dropping oil pan: neccesary to remove flywheel?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
I've got an '85 hotair (20 bolt oil pan, if that matters) on which I'm trying to drop the oil pan while the motor is still in the car. Is it possible to snake the pan out of there with the flywheel still bolted up, or do I need to remove the trans, so i can get the torque converter and then the flywheel off. Want to avoid doing all that extra work if it all possible, but it certainly looks like theres no way to get that pan outta there with the flywheel still on.

Thanks!

I've got an '85 hotair (20 bolt oil pan, if that matters) on which I'm trying to drop the oil pan while the motor is still in the car. Is it possible to snake the pan out of there with the flywheel still bolted up, or do I need to remove the trans, so i can get the torque converter and then the flywheel off. Want to avoid doing all that extra work if it all possible, but it certainly looks like theres no way to get that pan outta there with the flywheel still on.

Thanks!

No issues removing the pan with the flywheel, tans and hub in place.:cool:
You do need to remove the X-over and the flywheel cover.

You may need to rotate the crank to get the counterweights in the correct orientation to assist removal and installation.

I got the flywheel cover and crossover (i assume you mean exhaust crossover) off, but when I try to get the oil pan off, it keeps hitting the flywheel... It doesn't feel like its hitting on a crank counterweight, but I'll try turning the engine and see if that buys me anything... thanks for the quick response :)

I got the flywheel cover and crossover (i assume you mean exhaust crossover) off, but when I try to get the oil pan off, it keeps hitting the flywheel... It doesn't feel like its hitting on a crank counterweight, but I'll try turning the engine and see if that buys me anything... thanks for the quick response :)

Yes, Exhaust X-over.:redface:
You need to rotate the pan slightly to the side to clear the pick-up tube as well ,and than wiggle it through the counterbalance and other obstacle course maze.

Some cars are more difficult than others. As they get older, the engines sag.:eek:

What I have done on some of the more stubborn ones, put a jack under the trans pan and lift up on it. This gives more clearance at the crossmember.

I was almost to the point of trying that myself (I figured my old motor mounts has compacted some) but managed to barely get it out without any heroics. Hopefully it'll go back in too :)

Just use some pieces of thread and tie the pan gasket to the pan so it doesn't move when you go to put it back together. Then cut them out when you start putting bolts back in.
Tarey