Drop oil pan while in car?

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
I know it can be done. Does any one know what position the crank has to be in, or what cyl at TDC, for the pan to slide out between the frame crossmember and the crank shaft?

Thanks.

Mike

Pan

It don't matter if your just dropping pan to change rear main seal. I've done it and if I can do it you sure can. You have to take off the cross over, the fly wheel /TC shield. The smaller bolts up front are a pain to reach. Fairly labor intensive but alot cheaper to do yourself then pay a mechanic to replace rear main seal. Actually on GNTTYPE they have a section that tells you exactly how to do it. Look under Rear Main seal replacement. I didn't even think about clearence issue I just did what the instructions told me to do, if it looks like tight clearence just bump the ignition a little, it'll go in at the same angle it came out. Hope this helps.;)

It don't matter if your just dropping pan to change rear main seal. I've done it and if I can do it you sure can. You have to take off the cross over, the fly wheel /TC shield. The smaller bolts up front are a pain to reach. Fairly labor intensive but alot cheaper to do yourself then pay a mechanic to replace rear main seal. Actually on GNTTYPE they have a section that tells you exactly how to do it. Look under Rear Main seal replacement. I didn't even think about clearence issue I just did what the instructions told me to do, if it looks like tight clearence just bump the ignition a little, it'll go in at the same angle it came out. Hope this helps.;)

I believe you are going to have to take out the two engine mount bolts. I did this and jacked the motor up, careful not to pinch anything along the back wall and the pan rotated out of position with little effort.

The challenge I faced was getting the surfaces clean for sealant where the bottom side of the cap mates against the block.

I've done this about 3 times over the last few months. All you need to do is gently pry between the flywheel and oil pan, it will slide right out, regardless of anything else.

I have taken many pans off too. NO problem. The only issue might be if you have really bad motor mounts, then you might need to lift the engine a little.