Driving down the street when

no-nos

Hi, need some input. I just got a new rim
I went put it on, let the car warm up, took it for a spin, all was good. Coming back around I give my kid a ride, I got to get on it a little and I heard a big -FWOF- as if the up- pipe just came off
I search but the pipes are good and the hoses I can see, seem ok. I limp the car home because it miss fires when you give it gas. Any ideas? Electrical? Another thing is when I in park and I give it gas it seems to rev it self up.
I have no clues. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mine did a similar thing, and it was the MAF sensor. The sound I heard sounded just like the up pipe came off, and acted the same way. Replaced the MAF with a translator and lt1 MAF. All is good now.

Look those couplings over closer especially if you have the thin stock ones. It spit a hose somewhere and is sucking in air making it idle up "by itself".

The one from the turbo to the intercooler was a problem for me until I went to thicker hose.

I got some gates fuel filler neck hose and made some to replace the thin originals.

I checked all the hoses and they all look good, these are a couple of pics of my engine, all appears good , my mechanic did call me back
and told me he thinks its the Mass air flow sensor, ( czimpel, could be right bud ) now here is the problem, I went down to Bennett auto
and purchased a new one, installed it and now the car starts and then shuts right off,:mad:. my mechanic warned me that Bennett auto sells
them refurbished, you might get one that works you might not. I called and of course they are closed, the manger there was really nice
he ordered the last one they had, which is the one I got. I guess tomorrow I have to take another 40 mile trip. I really wanted to ride my gn this weekend, this sucks. thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 141
W those remanufactured mafs your really taking a crap.shoot. if you have a couple.of.ddollars around purchase lt1 maf w translator. The time and effort switching part store mafs will actually be more expensive time.wise..

Do not use refurbished maf sensors.Most are done by Cardone. I had a focus that I replaced 5 maf sensors on before I got a good one. Even the dealer one was a cardone unit. It sucks because you start chasing your tail thinking your diagnosing it wrong. The translator and lt1 or zo6 mass air is the way to go.

texas t you were right, intercooler hose on the bottom came off. easy fix wheeewww

Here is my second bit of free advice. When you decide to replace maf get a translator and one of the better mafs. The rebuilts just don't do well compared to how many you go through to get a good one. Just not worth the hassle imo.

Did you get some better hoses?
IMAG4205.jpg

Some good thick ones.

Rich

Here is my second bit of free advice. When you decide to replace maf get a translator and one of the better mafs. The rebuilts just don't do well compared to how many you go through to get a good one. Just not worth the hassle imo.

Did you get some better hoses?
IMAG4205.jpg

Some good thick ones.

Rich

Hose was fine. Got a new clamp

I used thick radiator hose to replace my stock fittings for the intercooler and up pipe. they are super strong, I can't imagine one of them failing.
Joel

Hoses are heavy duty, so was the clamp, I see that the clamp was barely catching the hose, which is I guess how it flew off

It does feel good to have her back on the road.

T bolt clamps and new silicone hoses. Vendors sell kits in different colors.

Get the translator and lt1/ls1 MAF as soon as you can. That way in the future a new MAF is simple deal

May also want to check the reluctor ring in the cam sensor and make sure it didn't shear/bend the tab and/or teh screw is loose the window has moved.