Driver side valve cover breather

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
Here's the elementary question of the day.

When I bought my car, it did not have the original breather/oil cap. It has a short tube with a K&N style filter similar to the picture below. My problem is that oil can sling up on it, the filter get's saturated, and drips oil onto the harness cover...and the header. I'm assuming that it needs some form of baffle that it does not have..or else...?

Suggestions?

0611_ghtp_57_z+ls1_engine_build+valve_cover_breather.jpg

Good question. I have the same issue on mine. Was thinking a baffle in the valve cover would be the answer, only thing is they're the stock valve covers and I do not know if there's enough room to put in a baffle without interfering with the rocker arms.

Anyone know? Maybe some tall valve covers with a baffle...?

I use a edlebrock breather that has a bafflle built in and never have a problem...they're available at most auto parts stores for around 10 bucks.

I have that same setup, except the tube is about 2 1/2" tall. I have never seen any sign of oil dripping. Are you sure you don't have other problems? With a proper PCV system, you should have ambient air entering that breather, not crankcase gases exiting from it...

Could it be that the breather is getting saturated with oil because the tube is straight?...Maybe an original angled tube would help solve the problem?...:confused:
Link: 1986 1987 Buick Regal Grand National Turbo T T-Type GNX Angled Billet OIL FILL TUBE and BREATHER KIT #7097

Claude. :redface:

That looks like it would be an improvement. Does it have any form of baffle?

I don't think my problem is a matter of pressure because the little filter is literally sitting on top. It takes no effort to slip it off. I think It's more a matter of oil slinging aroung when the revs get up there.

Replace your PCV and a taller breather and you shouldn't have any more problems.