Drag strip

IWANTONE

Well,,, we went down to the track last night - first time out for this car and combo. I was trying to keep it pig rich becasue of knock (false?) I noticed on street from (I think) 3" down pipe.

Car ran an 11.90 @ almost 114 with M/T drag radials and a 1.75 60 foot time. I had Alky knob at 8 and fuel pressure at 44. Knock retard was 0.5. Next run I figured I would turn up boost a little to about 24#. Turned down gain on alky to 7 and left fuel pressure alone. Car ran 12.20 @ 115+ pulling through the lights, thereby killing my 60 foot time (2.24). Also, knock retard on last run was 19.2 ???? (must be false). I only have a scanmaster.

I think this car with this setup can possibly go mid 11's, full weight, with the proper tune. What do you guys think?

Ron

With a 2.24 60 foot I bet it spun.. that will make the scanmaster show knock. You can push both buttons down on the scanmaster and it will tell you what MPH the knock happened at.

Make low boost runs and watch the scanmaster going down the track, particularly in high gear. This where you want knock to be at ZERO. Also look at your O2 levels in High gear.. this is how you adjust your fueling.

If you race down the track and only hit the recall.. its a hodge/podge what you'll see and typically worthless data.

My Old TTA would show 40 degree's knock.. at 39 MPH.. that is on the 1-2 shift. No amount of race gas,alky, or tuning could fix that. Metalic sounds will be picked up and shown as knock. That is why train yourself in high gear to look at the scantool.

Lastly.. make one adjustment at a time. Either you adjust alky, or you adjust boost, or you adjust fueling. Making multiple adjustments makes a mess every time.

If you have proper TQ converter and tires.. can get the car to 60 ft in the 1.5-1.6 range.. it should run mid 11's

OK, thanks for the advice Razor. Tires are M/T drag radials on stock rims, and torque converter is 2800 9". As gain on your system is almost maxed out, do you thing I should go into the internal controls on the PAC before I try to run more boost?

Ron

Still havent shown why you would need more alcohol. Single nozzle should support high 10's no problem. But if your leaning out, having a chip issue, bad fuel pump, etc.. then you need to address that.

That is tuning.. you need to put data as far as airfuel(O2), and at what MPH were you seeing knock.

The alky kit cannot fix all the issues with a bad tuneup. Let alone this is why chip changes are made to dial a car in.

So if your airfuel is dead on.. and you see some knock.. then you need more alky. At that point is when you add more. Until then flooding the engine only reduces performance.

Hope this helps.

If you cannot look at the scanmaster going down the track, get a power logger or direct scan and start recording your runs. This way you have data to make adjustments too.