downshift, 2-1 problem

SBNova

My tranny has been having some trouble downshifting the 2-1 shift when I come to a stop. Sometimes I will stop, and when I start I will still be in second. If I manually shift into first, it will be in first. Just the automatic downshift isnt always working. I have recently trimmed some weight and clipped one round of spring from my non-GN governor. It seems to shift at reasonable points everywhere else, and downshifts 3-2 and a good point too. Perhaps something is sticking?? Can anyone point me to something to check while Ive got the pan down again?? (fixing a leak).

Good question, I dont know. I was hoping to have some ideas while the pan is down. The pan has been off for about a week. I am getting tired of messing with this tranny and took a break from it. I didnt get any readings before I dropped the pan, and I guess I'll have to put it back on to check.

For anyone who hasnt seen any of my previous posts, here is a rundown.

Tranny stopped providing any motion on Christmas day, 2005. Prior to that, second gear was worn pretty good, grabs on light throttle but shot for anything else. So I tore the tranny out and upgraded the band to the wide alto from a standard kevlar, put in a PTS Extreme servo, and a new drum (that the band rides on). While it was apart I replaced some worn third clutches and steels, and modified my non-GN governor for higher RPM upshifts. Put the tranny back in- and the car still doesnt move. No forward, no reverse.

I sent the converter back to TCI (10inch lockup 3500 stall) and they said the turbine broke. Got it all fixed up, but in the meantime I tore the trans apart again just to double check everything since the car wasnt moving (pending the autopsy from TCI). Put the tranny back in and all seemed fine except for the 2-1 shift and the 2-3 which seemed a little slow.

I took the car to work (20 miles round trip) and the shifter cable broke. I must've kinked it when I put the trans back in. Then on the way home, huge plumes of white smoke. I take a look and the front seal has popped out. I let the car sit for a few days out of frustration, the dropped the tranny and reinstalled the seal. It looks like it was never quite in all the way. I put it back together and drive the car. It seems OK, just like before, sometimes wanting to start off in second instead of first, and the 2-3 shift is slow still. I get the car home and notice a slow drip of tranny fluid. I parked the car for a couple of days, again totally frustrated. I check on the car about three days later, and theres like 4-5 qts of trans fluid all over the ground. The front seal is still fine, the pump seems dry. I see some fluid around my tranny lines, and some from the electrical plug, and the pan seal is wet. I cant tell if it came from the vent and dripped down or not. So off comes the pan, again.

This is where I am now. I am gonna check my fluid hose connections (they're braided lines with AN fittings) and I have straightened the pan rails. Im gonna chenge the electrical plug seal, and reinstall the pan.

On a side note, I never found much debris at all in the tranny. I had it all apart a few times, and its probably had 30+ qts of fluid run through it in the last 4 months. The pump was clean and undamaged.

Thanks to all for the advice I have recieved on this board.