Downpipe assistance

timevacuum

Hi guys,

I picked up a Zero-to-Sixty 3" DP a while back and am now trying to install it. Could you guys take a look at the pics and tell me if I'm missing a gasket or something.

As you know the OE DP had a socket-type flange on the turbo end and there is a thin ring/metalic composition doughnut used to make the seal.

On this 3" DP however, the pipe is too big to fit inside the turbo elbow outlet opening, and it appears that the only sealing is the edge of the DP pipe pressing against the face ofe the elbow outlet. It doesn't look like it will seal very well, but maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone have any information on this???

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_3764_small.jpg
    IMG_3764_small.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_3771_small.jpg
    IMG_3771_small.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 307
One vote for : Grind it down and bolt it on. I don't think Trey had a gasket for the downpipe (although looking at the picture makes me wonder) You might want to check with Kirbans or ATR, they know more than myself. If I find my old zero to 60 catalog I let you know what it says.

One vote for : Grind it down and bolt it on. I don't think Trey had a gasket for the downpipe (although looking at the picture makes me wonder) You might want to check with Kirbans or ATR, they know more than myself. If I find my old zero to 60 catalog I let you know what it says.

If you can't find a Number for ATR its because they closed thier doors nearly a year ago...

timevacuum. I recently acquired the same 0-60 downpipe last December.
Mine will fit the inner detents on the turbo elbow. I am going another way in order to eliminate the turbo elbow and incorporate the waste gate in the downpipe. Another senior member told me the 0-60 downpipe has sealing issues at the turbo elbow. I am going to wait for a flange which incorporates the waste gate and therby eliminates the turbo elbow( all GM 3.8 turbos have the exact same turbo elbow which is restrictive). Good luck. Brad

Use hi-temp rtv (the copper colored stuff) on your downpipe flange. It's really tough to make a gasket live there......Who cares if it leaks a little there, it will not hurt performance at all, hell, maybe help it would be more like it.

When I had my 84 I just bolted it up as you have photographed. As long as you tighten each bolt equally you should not have an issue with sealing!

Turboregal84. Thanks for the info on the bolting of the 0-60 to the turbo elbow. Maybe I should forget the new flange and put the 0-60 on. Will eliminating the turbo elbow really make a difference? I do not drag race. Thanks- Brad

brad i had that pipe and just bolting it up will leak period.If you are lucky it wont leak much but it still leaks and leaves a tick tick tick under the hood.Also you got to think that both of those surfaces are not completley flat thus it will leak and finding a gasket for that area might lead to headaches. i would make the flange if i where you.With the new flange it will make that pipe 1000% better. Also eliminating the turbo elbow will help alot in my opinion.

Brent- I am on the same page as you. I have found a guy in AL today who makes the turbo flange with the puck. I also have received a PM (DEVERST) that he will have 10 of these flanges(including puck). All GM 3.8 turbo engines have the same turbo elbow. I will wait and see. DVERNST is like 10 minutes from me and he has designed the same flange wiich eliminates the turbo elbow. DVERSST has also found the fabricator for a hot air 3 inch downpipe. I will keep anybody posted

I thought turbo6x2 had posted that she had a few extra flanges fabricated to help support the hotair parts supply. You might want to check with Jamie.

I have the same pipe. I used a dremel to clean up the turbo housing. I also use Ultra Permatex to seal it. It never leaked on the car. I also used BGC headers. I am going to change my setup this summer to a Houston style.

Attachments

• BGC_headers_dp_up_002.jpg
    BGC_headers_dp_up_002.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 235
im kinda lost. why would you want to put the braid on that pipe or any aftermarket dp? just wondering

timevacuum
Where did you get the braid for the pipe. This make the pipe really stand out. I have thermal wrap on mine that has seen better days. I am impressed... Keep up the good work:cool:

Chuck,
The braid is made by Penflex Corp: PENFLEX
They only sell throught distributors but if you call them they'll refer you to one or two in your area. Look through their online catalog to find the diameter that you want.
The insulation under the braid is silica sleeving and the clamps are stainless low-profine hose banding clamps, (you'll need a tool to install them). Those items were obtained from McMaster: McMaster-Carr
HTH
Bill