Double GN IC for Typhoon

UR50SLO

The Reaper
I made two GN intercoolers a front mount with new tanks on the outsides. A local friend made the tanks and welded them up for me. I made all the pipes that go from the turbo to the IC and from the IC to the Throttle Body.

It all fits behind the stock Grille and bumper. The grill needs shaved at the bottom on the inside but does not effect the look or fitment.

I am going to fabricate a scoop under the middle of the bumper to direct more air over the bottom core.. I'd hate to cut the factory bumper to get more air over the bottom core but I might be stuck doing that.

Anyone wanting other pictures to do somthing similar I can take more..

Hope this helps others...

Scott~

Attachments

• DoubleGNTYIC.JPG
    DoubleGNTYIC.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 664
Pipes JPG...

Here are the pipes that I made...

This is my wifes truck and she wants the outside of the truck 2006 Sunburst

Orange so I painted the pipes the color the truck is going to be. The inner

fenders and engine bay will be the same color this week so it won't look too

goofy till I get a chance to strip the truck down and re-paint it before winter.

Gota finish her T-Type first.. All it needs now is paint.

So many wife's projects ... so little time :biggrin:

~Scott

Attachments

• ICpipes1.JPG
    ICpipes1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 649
Looks good! I figured the GN intercoolers would be too thick to fit behind the grill.

You need to cut the center support for the hood latch out and re-inforce it with round stock and the top mouting of the intercooler. It's as solid if not more solid than the stock stamped steel support now.
THen shave the lips where the GN intercoolers mounted the stock air damn off and your basicly set... re-use the one end on the bottom at 2.5" and then I used the other 2.5" end on the top. ported all around it to flow better and made two supporting gussets on the bottom of the core support to hold it all steady...
Just hope no one hits the front of the truck.. the stock Typhoon re-bar is flimsy and won't take much abuse... it'd fold and the intercoolers would be crushed...
I just did not like the stock hot water cooler that the factory put on there. It did little to cool the air in my openion.. so I guess I went a bit overboard making this but it was cheap so... why not... :)
~Scott

You did the right thing about welding those intercoolers in parallel instead of in series.

That's pretty sweet looking especially since it's fitted to a stock turbo truck right? I mean normally you have to reclock the stock turbo and have to worry about figuring out how to mount the wastgate etc so that it's still working or just spend the money and go externally gated.. which is why I haven't yet went air2air.. well that and I can't afford $1200+ for an air2air kit :(

Looks good let's see a front shot with the grill on.. and some other shots if you don't mind of the piping

Yes...

It's for the stock (location) and is the stock "clocking" as well. You can use the stock actuator too. I did not want to move any of that because of the time I have to work on the truck so I decided to work around it.

I'll be putting it back together in the next few weeks and I'll post more pic's of the final assembly.

I have to install new upper and lower controll arm bushings,ball joints and almost all the steering parts... Rear suspension parts too U joints, Fluids and
new front fenders/inner fenders. The fenders look weird right now because I painted the outside black and the inside Orange. I plan on painting the outside of the truck orange this fall so I decided to paint all the inner fenders and wheelwells orange now instead of pulling them back off before winter.

Glad you like it and it'd cost about 500-600.00 to duplicate what I did.

~Scott

more pictures

Front mount final install with core support in POR 15 (rust proof stuff) www.por15.com

driver side fender installed. all the pipes are orange and the inside fender wells and inside of the fenders are orange too... The rest of the truck will be orange this fall...

Hope this helps,
Scott~

Attachments

• Tyfrtmount1.JPG
    Tyfrtmount1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 485
Grille mocked up where it will go to show the depth of the coolers.

Attachments

• Tygrille1.JPG
    Tygrille1.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 464
This is the pass. side with no fender/inner fender to show how the pipes and stock elbow will hook up. Air cleaner will go on the stock 90' orange flex.

Attachments

• Typasside1.JPG
    Typasside1.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 452
Pic of driver side hooked up with fender installed

In the other two pic's above you can see that the tranny cooler and power steering cooler are installed in back of the intercooler.

Attachments

• TYdspipes.JPG
    TYdspipes.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 448
looks good i wonder what it would flow like with 3"-3 1/2" pipes? i think one of my biggest problems now with mine is the rpm front mount "small core" with 2 1/2" pipes

At 430rwhp (I assume you speak of the car in your sig) 2.5" I/C piping is MORE than adequate.

I used 2 1/2 because it fit under the hood with a little bit of the brace removed from under the hood liner. and it all went with the GN intercooler core very well... there was no more room for 3" in back of the stock bumper or grille... It's not our race truck it's a driver.. .I just could not stand the stock cooler and made this change so I can work on it easier and make a few more lbs of boost on pump gas...
Scott~

Here's with both fenders and grille totaly installed.. everything lines up great.

Now it's tear down every part of the steering and front suspension and replace it all... inner/outer tie rods Idler,Pitman arms upper and lower ball
joints Energy susp. upper/lower arm bushings. Pads/rotors.

Then the rear end with new blocks and straps, Shoes and wheel cyl. POR 15 the rear end and change the fluid.

New carpet with POR 15 on the floor

Fun fun :)

~Scott

Attachments

• Tytogther.JPG
    Tytogther.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 516
Raist103 said:
looks good i wonder what it would flow like with 3"-3 1/2" pipes? i think one of my biggest problems now with mine is the rpm front mount "small core" with 2 1/2" pipes

You should just give me your rpm air2air so you can go 3.5 :)

UR50SLO said:
Here's with both fenders and grille totaly installed.. everything lines up great.

New carpet with POR 15 on the floor

Fun fun :)

~Scott

yeah looks good scott.. I only wonder though running above the rad like that.. would that kind of heat things up a bit? also with the bends you have.. what kind of pressure drop you'll have?

POR15.. isn't that stuff kind of heavy?

ryan,
i have been thinking alot about selling the ty or trading it. if i dont and do upgrade to something i would give it to you pretty cheap.

later
don

The www.por15.com is a brushable rust proof product. It's just like a quart of regular paint... The Lizardskin is the newest product... that's some impressive stuff too... expencive though...

I think the radiator shroud will prevent alot of heat getting to the upper pipe which is the hot pipe anyway. STS (Squires Turbo Systems) locates turbos all the way at the back of the car where the mufflers are and makes excellent power with out lag. That kills the theory of long pipes causing pressure drop and lag. The small amount of pipe I have is nothing compaired to what they use from the rear of the car/s.

Anything is better than sticking a tiny water to air IC right over the exhaust manifold and turbo and expecting it to drop turbo discharge temps much at all. If it were ice water it'd be better but still too small of a core to do any good in my openion.

We'll just see how my setup does ... I know the stock turbo is my limiter right now.. it's smaller than a stock GN turbo and I think they are a joke. It's my next purchase along with 50lb/hr injectors... Then I think my wife will be able to have some fun with this thing... :)

Oh.. and me too when she lets me drive it... :)

~Scott

Raist103 said:
ryan,
i have been thinking alot about selling the ty or trading it. if i dont and do upgrade to something i would give it to you pretty cheap.

later
don

wow hope you don't sell the ty man.. and yeah if you upgrade let me know what your looking to get for your rpm kit and i'll see if I can swing it without the wife finding out :cool: I actually have a few hundred right now.. thinking about pickign up a set of battlebars for the rear..

UR50SLO said:
The www.por15.com is a brushable rust proof product. It's just like a quart of regular paint...

Oh yeah.. sorry I was thinking of rhino liner for some reason :(

UR50SLO said:
I think the radiator shroud will prevent alot of heat getting to the upper pipe which is the hot pipe anyway.

I hope so.. but I wasn't ever really crazy about having an intake pipe routed across the radiator but like you said it's the hot pipe anyways

UR50SLO said:
STS (Squires Turbo Systems) locates turbos all the way at the back of the car where the mufflers are and makes excellent power with out lag. That kills the theory of long pipes causing pressure drop and lag. The small amount of pipe I have is nothing compaired to what they use from the rear of the car/s.

Yeah your not kidding.. i've seen a local 03 gto with the kit running really good at the track :eek: but I would have to think the more tight bends the more of a pressure loss you would get :confused:

In any case good luck with your creation it looks pretty sweet. Let us know how well it works out once you get to perform it a bit

The STS (Squires) kits are interesting... I like the idea.. some don't even run a intercooler because the long pipe dissapates heat well enough it acts as a intercooler. Sounds strange... but it's been proven...

My Maxima runs 2" for the first bend right out of the turbo outlet then to 2 1/2 the rest of the way. Seems to work out good for it. I'm going to re-make the pipes when I purchase the front lip from Stillen Mtr sports to hide more of the GN intercooler I used on it... I have not run the car again since I made my own downpipe off the TA49 but I'm sure I'd better the 13.40's I was at... But it's to a point now where I know the engine can handle more power but the transmission and axels won't for long. Traction is a major problem and torque steer.... I just need to make it RWD and that'd solve all my trouble~

~Scott

Attachments

• Turbo Maxima engine bay.JPG
    Turbo Maxima engine bay.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 428