Doing research for a build.

If you already have a daily whip, why the desire to take your theft magnet out to the mall or work parking lot as a daily?
If I were you and was rolling around with a 44k original, chopping it up to build a nine sec race car would not be at the top of the list of mods. Your car, your plan, I get that but you did come on asking for opinions. Maybe dial back to a nice low 12, with the boost knob to the low elevens with traction and good fuel. Some easily reversible bolt ons will get you there. While you are doing this you can learn what lifts heads and blows gaskets and what not to do, and even some drag racing techniques that will help you get the comp license needed to run the nine sec v6 you intend to create.

How dare you come in here with the voice of reason and logic?!!!!!!!

It's blasphemy, just pure blasphemy I tell you!:arghh::smuggrin::D

Good luck to you, OP. I hope you end up getting your dream car built, I sure did.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Probably around 30 in mine...:and a lot of shit staring looks from the wife..:mad:

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Probably around 30 in mine...:and a lot of shit staring looks from the wife..:mad:

Your sig says " weber built 260ci t/a aluminum stroker."

So, is that 30K in the drive train and initial car purchase, or is that in the entire package, start to finish?

Is that under $30K the basic "let's just make it run" package, or is that the "I'm really proud of this car" package?

Do tell.

Be honest, what's the cost for the clean starter car, the entire Weber drive train, the fuel management system, the safety equipment, the wheel /tire combo, the rear end work, the alky kit, guages and all of the pretty stuff, and then more of the pretty stuff.

Add it all up.......You must be totally honest with yourself and the rest of us.

$30K? Done and done?

Really?

Doing that sort of true math sure shocked the shit out of me when I saw the total, but it was SOOOOOO worth it.

The OP is looking for a low 10/ high 9 second Daily Driver. That, to me, means something he can drive to work on Friday and then take it the strip that night, run easy 10's all night and then drive it to a local show and shine on Saturday and have people say "That's a really nice car" . (we will leave the "Nice Monte" comments out of this thread :p)

I will say this, unless you bought someone else's hard work, or you are a really experienced Turbo Buick builder.....a CLEAN, 9 second, daily driver GN cannot be done for under $30K.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It's damn near 2014 and finding a guy who really knows what he is doing with these cars is getting harder and harder and learning how to do it on your own by trial and error has become completely cost prohivitive.

I'm not trying to be negative, but for many out there, I'm just speaking the truth.

Last edited:
I have 45k+ in mine plus new paint ...no 9 second slip here yet ...
Bryan

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Well I am going to try it. But mine is a lot less than 30k but will have to wait and see. Should be going before spring if all works out. I will say it takes a few friends to do it wish me luck. Probably won't happen but will enjoy whatever the results.

Last edited:
This is my second GN and third motor that I've built over the course of twenty four years. I haven't built them personally but with the help and advise of professionals like Nick Mcale, Dale Cherry and many other vendors on this board and elsewhere as well. The most current motor that I had built was built by Nick Mcale which cost me just under $20k for just the long block. That does not include anything else. Nothing! What most people don't realize is all the supporting parts and labor, which is a huge factor when figuring out what it will take to build a car that runs in the 9's. For example, I had a FAST XFI engine management system installed in my car in 2012 when I had the whole top half of my stock motor rebuilt. The FAST XFI ECU was $1649.95, custom TB XFI harness was $895.00, 3 bar map sensor was $99.95, IAC adapter $199.95 and the labor was $2,1200.00. Plus some minor miscellaneous stuff. After taxes it cost me over $5,300.00 just for my engine management system. My fuel system as well. Parts were over $3,000.00 including stuff like -12 and -10 nylon race hose, fittings, regulator, wiring.... and labor was $1,200. Plus the sump in the gas tank which cost me $941. Now for those out there that are able to do the work themselves god bless you, but for people like me we don't have that option. I had a full frame restoration done on my car (well it's almost done) that will cast me $15k. When my car is finished I will have around $80k in it. What I paid for it, the restoration work, plus all the motor, tranny, suspension and interior work. My point to this is it's not just buying parts that's costly, it's the cost of putting them on as well.

You can only run E85 if your car is set up for it. For example, fuel pump, injectors and ECU.

Learning how to do it on your own by trial and error has become completely cost prohivitive.

Yes it is! I did the math on the beautiful car you see in my sig (sarcasm is mine), and including the price of the car I have right at $28k in it. It still needs suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, paint, and interior! Really, with the money I have in it plus a little more, I wished I would have bought Scott's (GNS) car, that is set up the way I want.
My original GN had over 50K in it at the time it was stolen, don't really know how much more because I quit counting;), as I'll quit counting on this car. I'll be happy with a high/mid 10 second car that I run mid/low 11's with on pump gas and alky and ice cold air.
Another thing that really adds up on these cars is the "while I'm in it fixing this, might as well do that too scenario" which can financially snowball also. My last GF called me a financial f*&%ing genius before she said "it's the car or me" and I said bye bye:cool:
Bottom line, do what you like and enjoy the ride, these cars are awesome when the combo all works. If a budget is what you have, best of luck cause it IS an addiction. Happy New Year, Everyone:)

:D

So, is that 30K in the drive train and initial car purchase, or is that in the entire package, start to finish?

Is that under $30K the basic "let's just make it run" package, or is that the "I'm really proud of this car" package?

Do tell.

Be honest, what's the cost for the clean starter car, the entire Weber drive train, the fuel management system, the safety equipment, the wheel /tire combo, the rear end work, the alky kit, guages and all of the pretty stuff, and then more of the pretty stuff.

Add it all up.......You must be totally honest with yourself and the rest of us.

$30K? Done and done?

Really?

Doing that sort of true math sure shocked the shit out of me when I saw the total, but it was SOOOOOO worth it.

The OP is looking for a low 10/ high 9 second Daily Driver. That, to me, means something he can drive to work on Friday and then take it the strip that night, run easy 10's all night and then drive it to a local show and shine on Saturday and have people say "That's a really nice car" . (we will leave the "Nice Monte" comments out of this thread :p)

I will say this, unless you bought someone else's hard work, or you are a really experienced Turbo Buick builder.....a CLEAN, 9 second, daily driver GN cannot be done for under $30K.

It's damn near 2014 and finding a guy who really knows what he is doing with these cars is getting harder and harder and learning how to do it on your own by trial and error has become completely cost prohivitive.

I'm not trying to be negative, but for many out there, I'm just speaking the truth.

Please forgive me for the lack of detail in my previous post. I not a Turbo Buick builder .. far from it...although you are correct that I did buy someone elses hard work... sort of. there also was a fair amount of hard work on my end as well to aquire the funds to purchase someone elses hard work.

What I did, was purchase a 10 second car that already had a lot of the necessities to run in the 9s and made it faster...If including the purchase price of the car, Im probably around in the high 40s

A typical T/A longblock build will push 18k-20k.. which mine is no exception, although I did save a few bucks in finding a board member who had the block available at a discount and purchased a (dyno time) crank from Duttweiler

If I were to do it again I would buy JWs car or one of the other amazing stage cars seen on here from time to time ...:D

Like Turbotroy said: "I quit counting" a long time ago. Probably will never see tens either, truth be told.

:D

Please forgive me for the lack of detail in my previous post. I not a Turbo Buick builder .. far from it...although you are correct that I did buy someone elses hard work... sort of. there also was a fair amount of hard work on my end as well to aquire the funds to purchase someone elses hard work.

What I did, was purchase a 10 second car that already had a lot of the necessities to run in the 9s and made it faster...If including the purchase price of the car, Im probably around in the high 40s

A typical T/A longblock build will push 18k-20k.. which mine is no exception, although I did save a few bucks in finding a board member who had the block available at a discount and purchased a (dyno time) crank from Duttweiler

If I were to do it again I would buy JWs car or one of the other amazing stage cars seen on here from time to time ...:D

I sorta figured as much. :)

I have a mid-low 10 second TR built by Lou Czarnota. I know exactly where you're coming from when you talk about "fair amount of hard work on my end as well to aquire the funds to purchase someone elses hard work". I'm a bit north of $40K into mine. How far north? I can't count that high....(n)

You're right, there are some cars that are worth much more than the asking price available out there right now.

Last edited:

Do tell.

$30K? Done and done?

Really?

Do you think Tim Stockwell had $30k invested in 10.8s budget build???

Side note- Anyone know how much Gabby Rojas has invested in his build? I believe his is a DD or at least driven a ton, runs 8s IIRC or maybe I am mistaken....

Do you think Tim Stockwell had $30k invested in 10.8s budget build??? quote]

"

I clearly stated in my post "The OP is looking for a low 10/ high 9 second Daily Driver. That, to me, means something he can drive to work on Friday and then take it the strip that night, run easy 10's all night and then drive it to a local show and shine on Saturday and have people say "That's a really nice car" . (we will leave the "Nice Monte" comments out of this thread :p)

That said (again), Stockwell readily admits the car you speak of is a total rust bucket and doesn't try to pass it off as anything else. In addition he is an extremely talented and experienced Buick builder, not a novice as the OP makes clear in his first post.

I don't see the corellation.

Again, what I'm saying isn't to be negative, I'm just being realistic.

Last edited:
I think we scared the OP off long ago.
Basically we've all agreed that it may or may not be 30k...but it's gonna be close. It all depends on how nice and fancy he wants to get. Paint, Powdercoating, Polishing, or Chrome add up big time.
The "daily driver" part of the post means he is looking for a "reliable" car that will handle the power without much fear of breaking every time out. This is what I am building. My engine is basically a TSM engine, not just a basic stroker.
I can tell you guys who are still wondering...starting with a bare NA block...I have $20,000 sitting on the engine stand ( that's complete, with turbo and brackets and accessories.) That's no tranny, Convertor, drive shaft, or rear end modifications, or my XFI stuff. I'm doing a frame and complete paint next year. That will put my build at better then $75k when finished...including the car.

I think we scared the OP off long ago.
Basically we've all agreed that it may or may not be 30k...but it's gonna be close. It all depends on how nice and fancy he wants to get. Paint, Powdercoating, Polishing, or Chrome add up big time.
The "daily driver" part of the post means he is looking for a "reliable" car that will handle the power without much fear of breaking every time out. This is what I am building. My engine is basically a TSM engine, not just a basic stroker.
I can tell you guys who are still wondering...starting with a bare NA block...I have $20,000 sitting on the engine stand ( that's complete, with turbo and brackets and accessories.) That's no tranny, Convertor, drive shaft, or rear end modifications, or my XFI stuff. I'm doing a frame and complete paint next year. That will put my build at better then $75k when finished...including the car.

There it is folks; nice cars take nice money, but this is not exclusive to TR's.

Thank you for sharing Coach. I have under $20k in my car with car just to make it run reliable mid to low-11's. Yes it can be done for less. It can be done for more too.

Thanks again Coach; nice to have some real info out there. LMK when you are ready to sell it :sneaky:

I'm building a complete Showcar, not just a driver. My investment will be spread out over about a 7 year period. It didn't start out to be that...it just evolved.
I don't sell my cars...I just collect.
Sorry We4

I clearly stated in my post "The OP is looking for a low 10/ high 9 second Daily Driver. That, to me, means something he can drive to work on Friday and then take it the strip that night, run easy 10's all night and then drive it to a local show and shine on Saturday and have people say "That's a really nice car" . (we will leave the "Nice Monte" comments out of this thread :p)

That said (again), Stockwell readily admits the car you speak of is a total rust bucket and doesn't try to pass it off as anything else. In addition he is an extremely talented and experienced Buick builder, not a novice as the OP makes clear in his first post.

I don't see the corellation.

Again, what I'm saying isn't to be negative, I'm just being realistic.

If you have your mind set on spending $30k+ to run 9/10s then you will.

Others have a different mindset and have accomplished the same goals, with $$$ left over.

qwikt.JPG

That's one of the nicest Turbo Buick "rust buckets" I've ever seen.

10.8 with minor bolt ons, minimal suspension work, XP pump, and gooooooood tune shows it is possible...as of 10yrs ago.

Maybe Tim paid $25k for the car and put $5k into it...who knows.

Others have a different mindset and have accomplished the same goals, with $$$ left over.

qwikt.JPG

10.8 with minor bolt ons, minimal suspension work, XP pump, and gooooooood tune shows it is possible...as of 10yrs ago.

Well, I stand corrected on the vehicle pictured above.

I got confused and convinced myself that you were speaking of "Project Rusty Silver Bullet" built by Bryan Lorenz just recently.

The car pictured above is beautiful, but then again, I'm kinda biased towards the white ones.... ;)

qwikt.JPG

I disagree. If you have your mind set to build a certain type of car...the costs for the quality of items you want to accomplish your goal add up. If your the type to buy parts and push them to their breaking point...your gonna do it.
I can't tell you how many guys I've seen with pieced together cars that are on their 3rd or 4th tranny, 3rd engine, along with multiple rear ends...
They have bought, sold or traded thousands and thousands of dollars in parts. If they were to keep track...they have way more into the car then they realize.
I chose to save up and do it all at once...no difference. I drove my car as is up to this point, now I'm making my move.
I've followed what the proven guys have advised me to do.