Dog House IAT sensor, PT&E says this, Big Stuff 3 says that

So use a CTS instead of IAT sensor to measure IAT correct? Is same 3/8 npt?

Yes, the only fully metal sensors are either the CTS or the MAT (manifold air temperature) sensors. The MAT being used in vehicles such as the TPI set ups. They both have the 3/8" NPT threads.

NO. Use an AIT sensor. It responds a little faster because it has an open element. I think he meant to show you the plug only.

Rainmaker is looking for a full metal sensor, otherwise I too would have directed him to a birdcage style IAT sensor. Note that they use different connectors. The CTS & MAT use a mushroom style, with the IAT using a slotted style. These are 2 cavity Metri-Pak connectors.

RemoveBeforeFlight

OK now I'm conflicted. I don't want a plastic birdcage to destroy my motor....but I can't see a metal rod CTS sensor being able to react as fast as an open element one. Water temp changes much slower than air. I have large aquariums that prove it. So no one makes an open element sensor with a metal cage?

If you can find a Standard AX1T sensor, it may be a metal one with the proper air temp connector.

It won't be the plastic cage that hurts the engine, it will be the thermistor itself breaking off and going through. It may end up doing damage, or it may not. Have some pic's I took that shows the various items. This one shows the difference in connectors. Left one is an IAT with the slotted connector.

The right one is a CTS or MAT with the mushroom connector (click for larger size):

CTS-IAT-MAT_2143a.jpg

Then an array of sensors:

CTS-IAT-MAT_2141a.jpg

The one in the upper left is a CTS with the mushroom connector (used on ba-zillions of GM vehicles). It is also used as a MAT sensor. Can be used as an IAT.

Top center is a birdcage style IAT with the slotted connector (common intake tract sensor).
Upper right is a fully plastic MAT with the mushroom connector (this sensor is difficult to find, also made with a slotted connector).
Lower right is a grommet mount IAT with the slotted connector (not recommended for boosted apps).

In the center is the sensor element of the top center bird cage IAT. That is the worrying item that might go through the engine.

I'm using the upper right solid plastic sensor in the doghouse. I believe that it is fast enough to keep up with changing air temperature. The intercooler acts like a capacitor, moderating how quickly the intake air temperature can change. Although that doesn't take into account spraying alcohol, which can change the intake air temperature quickly.

HTH's,

RemoveBeforeFlight

Last edited:
To add more confusion to this IAT discussion, I stock 2 of these and I decided to check to be sure they were both metal ones like I have used before.

The connector socket is the same on both, but the recent one I received and never opened the box, is black plastic like shown in the pic above?

The Standard brass IAT is different from any shown above, so it leads me to believe that major brands are not have parts made exclusive for them, but sourcing on the open market?

Trying to source original parts for our 30 year-old cars gets more difficult every day. :(